CRM 3.0c deployed to "users" with SCCM RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am using the CRM 3.0c client and SCCM 2007 SP1 at the moment. (trying to deploy to windows xp sp2/sp3, with windows installer 4.5 and offic 2003 sp3)

I have also read; http://blogs.msdn.com/mscrmfreak/archive/2006/02/05/525268.aspx

Now, there is no way I have managed to deploy CRM to a lockdown user.

I have set both registry-keys to allow alwaysinstallelevated (HKLM and HKCU). I have tried the blog-posted way above, but yet it always fails with the notice that I must be an administrator or it starts the installation as SYSTEM.

Now, is there any help? We currently have about 10-15 reinstallations of the CRM client per week due to its instability and to allow the users reinstall the client themselves without making them administrators would really help us.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I gave up on this. It can't be done and from what I can gather the official response is "use Group Policy" and if that isn't best suited for you, then manual elevated installation is best option.

(I suddenly realised why that company haven't locked down the users before..)

Cheers!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:42 AM

All replies

• Sorry, forgot to mention this:

We are trying to deploy the offline-client. Not the desktop-version.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:59 PM
  • I'm not sure about SCCM but the process you need to use in your scenario might be to Publish the client (either or both) using Group Policies. Publishing allows the user to select the application to install from a list of possible applications from Control Panel. When it is installed, it can be installed using the security context of the Group Policy which means the user does NOT need to be a local administrator. If you need further instruction on how to use Group Policies please let me know and I will attempt to point you in the right direction.

As for you having to reinstall 10 to 15 clients per week due to the instability of the product, I would suggest you have something else going on as the product is quite stable.

Friday, November 7, 2008 2:05 AM
  •  

Group Policy is not an option. Or it is, but then again we might aswell ship the client back to corporate office.

Far from all offices have a local-server, meaning if the client installation were to be initiated from a share - the connection to the share would be really slow.

Now, then we have the user base that is on the move all the time. No office, but simply whatever connection is available.

SCCM allows us to push the media to the client, and lets the user install from local files.

Of course, this has to be done "beforehand" of course but even if there is a limited connection we can utilize BITS to push the media down to be available when needed in the future.

It can't be that I am hitting a dead-end here and the only way to deploy 3.0c client to a non-admin member would be to utilize Group Policy?

Thanks

Friday, November 7, 2008 8:06 AM
  • Hello,

I gave up on this. It can't be done and from what I can gather the official response is "use Group Policy" and if that isn't best suited for you, then manual elevated installation is best option.

(I suddenly realised why that company haven't locked down the users before..)

Cheers!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:42 AM