WM6 Media Player RRS feed

• Question

•  

After making the most recent update to WM6, my hopes of getting an update for windows internet explorer and the windows moblie media player have yet to be realized!

The Tech support at Sprint try to help me with my Mogul, but all I do there most often is spent a lot of time on the phone with nice people who try hard but.....

Websites; CNETV and Youtube still display the message; "Your Webbrouser is not supported", and a link to download the latest internet explorer or FireFox are displayed. My Sprint Mogul;  WM6 media player, wil not play the videos on those sites!

I have tried the links shown to do the downloads, However half way through the download,( FireFox or ie), it stops and a new message appears saying that the program that you are downloading is not compatable with your device???

Even worse there are some Microsoft sites that display the messgae; my webbrouser is not supported??

The MSN site for the Crappy Office Lady will run on my moble device but the message regarding  my webbrouser not being supported, still appears??

How do I update or change my webbrouser?

Or do I need to change something in my WM6 Media Player??

Sunday, October 26, 2008 10:43 PM

Answers

•  cbrownusa wrote:

Websites; CNETV and Youtube still display the message; "Your Webbrouser is not supported", and a link to download the latest internet explorer or FireFox are displayed. My Sprint Mogul;  WM6 media player, wil not play the videos on those sites!

For YouTube try this:

Youtubeplay 1.0.0.7

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:34 PM
  • There is a big difference between Opera mini and Opera mobile.  Opera mini is a Java based application and needs to run in a Java engine. You can see an article I wrote about running Java applications on a mobile device here.

Opera mini is free and Opera mobile is not free.  But I prefer Opera mobile to Opera mini.  I think Opera mobile is more powerful than Opera mini.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:10 AM

All replies

• Use Opera instead of Internet Explorer.

You can use TCPMP or CorePlayer instead of WMP if you want to play a wider variety of audio and video on your device.

If you google "YouTube" + "Windows Mobile" you'll find a couple of different ways to view YouTube videos on your handheld.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 12:19 AM
  •  cbrownusa wrote:

For YouTube try this:

Youtubeplay 1.0.0.7

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Thank you for the the post.

After checking some reviews, I downloaded Opera.

During the Download there were a TON of Dire Warnings!

However, the download was fast.

After installation, I tried using it.

When I finally got the hang of it, thngs moved quickly.

The problem now is that there was no icon insatlled in windows program to re-run Opera.

During the download I acepted the default, which indecated that Opera was being loaded into Windows Programs.

However, when using [ Start/programs  or Start/settings], no listing for Opera??

How do I re-run Opera without the link??

Sunday, November 2, 2008 12:38 AM
  • THANK YOU for the POST.

I have not tried this yet.

I have tried OPERA first after viewing CNET reviews.

Some challenges have occurred, see my reply for the OPERA post.

Sunday, November 2, 2008 12:43 AM
  • It sounds like you need to create a shortcut for Opera and place it in the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.  See this article for detailed instructions on creating shortcuts.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Thanks I looked at the link and will read it it detail later.

However, First I downloaded Opera Mini not Opera (

Second I have looked but can not find the program!

I figure that I need to reload the program, but is there much dif etween Opera and Opera Mini??

Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:37 AM
  • There is a big difference between Opera mini and Opera mobile.  Opera mini is a Java based application and needs to run in a Java engine. You can see an article I wrote about running Java applications on a mobile device here.

Opera mini is free and Opera mobile is not free.  But I prefer Opera mobile to Opera mini.  I think Opera mobile is more powerful than Opera mini.
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:10 AM
  • Prof Julie,

Do you use Opera Mobile exclusively on your device?

Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:30 PM
  • I use Internet Explorer for some things.  Some software I use that connects to the internet relies on Internet Explorer being the default browser, so Internet Explorer is my default browser.  I didn't like Opera Mini when I first installed it, but I  enjoy using Opera Mini now.  I've got all my favorites there and use it for any mobile cloud computing I might do (where I am accessing information I have stored on the internet).  (I also use the desktop version of Opera and so my favorites are automatically synced to my mobile device).

If I am going to do serious surfing, I use Opera Mobile.  I am able to work with many more websites when using Opera Mobile.  It's a great browser except if I have a couple of different windows open (tabbed internet pages), I run into memory problems.  I am testing out the beta of Opera Mobile now...this version of Opera Mobile is fantastic and looks just like the desktop version.  I can't wait until it is fully functional... 

I've also been trying out Skyfire.  I've had some issues with this browser, but it is a beta and I have not yet installed the latest release of the browser.  Skyfire "feels" a lot like Opera Mini to me.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Thanks for that info Julie ... it was very helpful.  I've been pretty much sticking with PIE but I have been usingg Skyfire and I think it has a lot of promise.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:13 PM