none
Can the Forums be made compatible with Internet Explorer like they are for Google Chrome and Apple Safire

Question

• Is it possible to make the forums compatible with Internet Explorer in the same way as in Chrome and Safire.

I like IE more than those two but in IE8 some features don't function for me (for instance last reply).

Success
    Cor
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:22 AM

All replies

• >  in IE8 some features don't function for me (for instance last reply).

On which OS?   What symptoms?   And which forums?

FWIW  I only use IE8 on W7 X64 and don't have any trouble with the forums IMO but I admit I am mostly using the Answers forums so I might notice something different on  comsandbox  (for example).   Do you have a test you could propose doing there?

HTH

Robert
    ---
    Friday, August 13, 2010 10:28 PM
  • MSDN forums IE8 W7 X64 all updates installed.

For instance "Last reply" button does not work anymore, and Chrome gives spellchecking (a simply one but it does) there is more, I am glad I using Chrome now for the forums.

But I found it crazy I cannot use a Microsoft product, while I like overall Internet Explorer more.

Success
    Cor
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:51 AM
  • The "Last reply" button does not work anymore after the recent update release. I think the cause is the "focus" of the cursor in the Bing Search Bar.

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums Italy
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 8:10 AM
  •  
    have you noticed any other little differences about nntp, Robert?

...hint hint

Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:36 PM
  • The "Last reply" button does not work anymore after the recent update release . I think the cause is the "focus" of the cursor in the Bing Search Bar.

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security since 2003 .

Cross linking related thread. More people seem to be steadily finding there way here to report this problem.

To the Forum Gods (recent change to bing search focus disrupting forum usage)

Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:16 PM
  • > have you noticed any other little differences about nntp, Robert?

Good grief.   In IE I had View, Text Size, Smallest and I would need to use a magnifier to read the rest.    View, Text Size, Medium  makes the other posts readable too.   ; )

FWIW  I post here using  WLMail beta in HTML mode with Arial 12 set as my default.   I actually compose in Plain text but switch over to Rich Text (HTML) mostly because there are bugs in the bridge�??s Plain text converter.   Sometimes I forget to switch and then have to get into the forum�??s Edit�??s HTML mode to fix some of the problems (such as broken links, line spacing problems, etc.)   So, as long as I remember to make that switch I think I have been doing Ok when posting using the bridge.   The production version of WLMail does a better job of handling blockquote than the beta I think but I haven�??t really analysed why the beta isn�??t doing it.  For all I know it could be instead another undiagnosed quirk of the bridge, this time in HTML mode.   Hope not.

See some of my threads in  Answers Sandbox  for some more analysis.   I intend to study the bridge�??s HTML mode support more thoroughly sometime even though that�??s what I am using the most.

FYI

Robert
    ---
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:55 AM
  • > "Last reply" button does not work anymore

What is that?  A moderator feature?   FWIW  the sort feature, e.g. Most Recent Post  seems to be working.   Is what you want related to that?   ICIM I use a Flast List View in my Preferences, so finding the "Last Reply" in a Thread window is simply a matter of pressing  Ctrl-End.   It�??s a bit more difficult in a thread Preview which is why I only use that feature for small threads.   ; )

Oh.   Now I see it.   In a thread preview?   It could be a relative URL, instead it's a full URL with a fragment label.   That works with  Ctrl-Shift-Click (or Ctrl-Shift-Enter, once the Last Reply label has keyboard focus).

Works for me (for most cases).   Are you expecting it to expand the preview thread and jump to the last reply in the same page?  That would be really useful but that�??s one of the disadvantages of using a full URL instead of relative reference.   Does its URL change if I expand the thread manually?...   No but again, that would be a helpful option.   And again, it still works for me.   This time using  Middleclick  (my Wheelclick).

HTH

Robert
    ---
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:40 AM

• See some of my threads in  Answers Sandbox  for some more analysis.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Robert, they must be hard to miss.     here's one just for you.  click this:  Full.url.plus#fragment

you have a buddy there named peter.

notice the target post does not end up in the browser view.  it should.

however, if you then resubmit the url in the navigate-bar, the post will come into focus.

HTH

grits

Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:48 AM
  • notice the target post does not end up in the browser view.  it should.

however, if you then resubmit the url in the navigate-bar, the post will come into focus.

Understood (now).   As I understand it there is a problem with HTML fragments for the OS.  Perhaps that is why they aren't working with these new tab and new window cases?   Also, as I mentioned, the Last Reply "button" is not  always  failing for me.  What's strange is that your example actually does shift down a bit in most cases.   E.g.  Shift-Middleclick  and  Shift-Click  both result in the link being launched in a new window and staying at the top;  Middleclick, Ctrl-Click and Ctrl-Shift-Click  all result in a partial (incorrect) shift.   So now it looks as if there is a specific problem and difference in the TechNet forums (e.g. as demonstrated by your link) in this regard?  Or as Vincenzo points out perhaps it's the way that focus is now being given to the BING search bar which is overriding the focus that would normally be given via a fragment link?

Oh.   I know what you should try then.   No Scripting.   E.g. there is probably an  onload=  attribute which is causing the override...   Yes.   That works (with your sample).   But it is too great a sacrifice to make just to avoid an unwanted  onload=  attribute.   Perhaps someone can come up with a Fiddler filter (for example) which will more selectively eliminate that override?   ; )

So, is this the only issue stopping people from using IE8 with the forums?   <eg>

Robert
    ---

Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:29 PM
  • thanks.

every single link#fragment in My Profile does this exact same thing.  check yours.  clicking them initially opens the page to the target #fragment, but then repaints to the top of that page.  it also happens with any link#fragment embedded in a post.  (as demonstrated above).  i don't think it's isolated to IE8, is it?  simply said, #fragments are now broken in every respect.  this malfunction just began with the recent forum maintenance.  the reason is probably just what Vincenzo explained.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:08 PM
  • I agree.  These issues need to be fixed.

I also notice that the back button does not work correctly when the previous page is in the forums.

It should return to the previous page, scrolled to the view you last had.  But instead, it returns me to the top of the page (with focus in the Bing search box).

Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Back button?

heck.  just click  Refresh button  while viewing this post.  it should stay put.  instead, the page jumps to the top.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:53 PM
  • The "Last reply" button does not work anymore after the recent update release . I think the cause is the "focus" of the cursor in the Bing Search Bar.

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security since 2003 .

The focus is the source of many little "ease-of-use" features not working, like being able to use the back button to go to the previous page.  There are many posts about this and Microsoft hasn't even acknowledged this as a problem, or tried to convince us that it is a feature that we will all learn to appreciate.

Subnet Calculator / Planner      Serial Port      Random
    Monday, August 16, 2010 3:15 PM
  • The sometimes slow actions currently with the forums are the same in Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The malfunctions like not going to last reply is still alone not functioning for me in Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The good thing, I learn more and more good features from Google Chrome by visiting the Microsoft Forums.

Success
    Cor
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:14 AM
  • The strangest think is that once in a great while, the "Last reply" button actually works correctly for me.

Go figure.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Did anybody already see some real improvements which help the contributors in the forums the last 5 weeks?
    Success
    Cor
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Is it possible to have something like the social connector and see everything from within OUTLOOK 2XXXX

Or Cab we have a kind if Gaget where I can see a small window on my Desktop that give me the main titles of posts to be alerted ??

Regards

Hassan El-Meligy, Cairo
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:39 PM
  • I still think it is a bug and the discussion belongs in Forum Issues, not here.

I had reported it there, but I cannot find that post now.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:06 PM
  • I still think it is a bug and the discussion belongs in Forum Issues, not here.

I had reported it there, but I cannot find that post now.

It is not only about the last reply.

The suggestion is in fact if they will test it next time also with IE8.

I get the idea that the forum team does only test with non Microsoft browsers. 

Success
    Cor
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:54 AM
  • I have read a lot of stuff on the internet recently by web developers that claim that IE is terrible at sticking to standards, whereas most other browsers are quite good. Also, try the Acid3 test and see what you think when Chrome, Opera and Safari get at least 98/100 (even with lots of extensions and tabs open).
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:21 PM
  • I see that the forums runs beside Chrome and Safari also in IE9 beta,
    Success
    Cor
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Hooray!

"Last Reply" is working correctly now.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:57 PM