Sharing fields between entities... RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 entities within a solution and both of them need to access a particular field in the database, lets say the field is CustomerNum. I have added the field in both entities, but it only shows the data in one of the entities in the dashboard, I see the header for the data in the second entity, but no data. Please keep in mind, this is VERY new to me.
    • Edited by nasyrax Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:10 PM

All replies

• How is the field populated in the first entity? Are the 2 entities related?

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:20 PM
  • To be honest, I don't know on either question. How can I tell? 
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:27 PM
  • You can check the customizations of the these entities for any relationships defined. Generally, we have such shared fields between related entities. Depending on how the data is added to these entities you can choose a strategy to keep the shared field in sync.

In your case, it appears that both the entities are referring to some external field for data so it helps to know how the data is populated in these entities (some sort of data import or manual entry). Check if there is any script associated with the field in first entity OR any plugin on the first entity's create/update that fills the field.

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:55 PM
  • The data is from an imported CSV file for both entities and there are no scripts or plugins involved. Basically I want the data in the 1st column in the first entity/view to display in the 1st column of the second entity/view.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Understand, however, CRM doesn't share fields between entities. As you have done already, 2 fields have to be created and syncd using field mapping or script or plugins.

Since you mention that there are no scripts or plugins and that the data is imported, make sure that the second entity import data has this column mapped properly. I guess that the data has not come in from the import.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Do I need to re-import the data if a new entity is created? Any sources you can suggest for a beginner for field mapping? As a side note, when I go to "Mappings>New", I have "Source Entity Fields" but no "Target Entity Fields".
    • Edited by nasyrax Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:24 PM
  • Since you have already got the data in the second entity, you will have to update the records with the "shared field" data. To do this you can export to excel by marking the data to be available for re-import. Refer - http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2011/09/27/mass-editing-dynamics-crm-2011-records-using-microsoft-excel/

For field mapping, refer http://rc.crm.dynamics.com/rc/2011/en-us/on-prem/5.0/Help/source_cust_entity_mapping.htm

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:43 PM
  • I have a related question about the possibility of CRM doing a certain action. Is it possible to search in one entity on the dashboard and have the second entity also show fields related to the search in the first entity?
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Am afraid not; When you search in an entity list view it will only search in the same entity not in the related entity.

• Proposed as answer by Mamatha Swamy Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:28 PM
  • OK, is it possible to pull data from 2 different databases into a single form/view? Let me also say that I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me out, it is VERY appreciated!
    • Edited by nasyrax Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:39 PM