Install XP Pro OEM on multiple removable drives for use in ONE computer? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

Have a quandry I'm trying to get resolved that invlolves installs and the OEM EULA for XP.

Say you have a 'shared' computer (one computer, many users).  You have several removable hard drives that you want to reinstall the OEM XP Pro onto for use only in that machine.  Each 'user' get's their own hard drive which loads into the caddy in the computer and they boot from thier drive.  Only one drive at a time is in use at any time, but each drive has the same OS version and key installed on it.   Since the XP EULA states: The WinXP OEM EULA specifies "Except as otherwise expressly provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access, display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER." There are no hard drives installed in or on the computer.... they are all removable and locked away until the user goes to sign for and check them out.  Would this be a violation of the EULA since only one at a time are used?   I read and re-read the EULA but it seems like ALOT of interpretation to me.  ANy onw with and 'official' reference that shows this being aloowed or dis-allowed please share your findings.  Thanks!

Monday, June 17, 2013 10:02 PM

Answers

• Each user would be required to purchase their own individual license for Windows XP.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:20 AM

All replies

• Each user would be required to purchase their own individual license for Windows XP.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:20 AM
  • Carey-

Thanks for the reply, pretty much what I thought as well, since each HD has a full install.  Best workaround for this I can think of is to let each user have thier own DATA drive (no OS on it) and they use that in the drive caddy.  Only one OS install would exist at that point,  one in the computer.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:34 PM