Using the RC Restore CD: A Success Story RRS feed

• Question

• I just wanted to report for everyone's information that the RC Restore CD worked fine for me.  I deliberately "hosed" a client PC on my WHS Network to test the feature.  It was a complete success, including remembering the small configuration changes I had set on the "restored machine".

I will admit, that due to my not having a lot of experience with doing such a restore, it did not work the first time I booted from the Restore CD.  But once I understood how to see how the restore shows what drivers are loaded already and which ones are needed (i.e. the network card driver was show as not present), the restore completed as advertised.  I had to put the drivers the "restore" needed on a flash drive.  The restore software found the drivers and ran without user intervention after supplying the drivers via the flash drive.

I am elated over this capability. I spent months repairing a OS problem on my main desktop and recovering from a system drive crash on my wife's laptop last summer.  This is a Godsend to me!  Thank you Windows Home Server Team!!!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 12:25 PM

Answers

• Always nice to see a success story. Smile

For future reference, you can get at the exact drivers needed for the restore CD for a particular PC by browsing a recent complete backup of that PC. There will be a folder named something like "Windows Home Server Drivers For Restore" in the root of the system drive backup. That should contain all of your network and storage drivers.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:41 PM
  • I had a good experience as well. I installed Symantec Corp 9 on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with a fresh reformat and all MS updates. Symantec really did not sit well with it. Don't really know why.  It works on all my other pc's

Anyway, I inserted the restore disc and it was all done in minutes. I personally had no driver issues. It put everything back just as it was. "Like it never even happened." ..LOL.

This will come in handy one day when it's a lot more serious.  And I'm sure it will go just as well as this one did.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 3:08 AM

All replies

• Always nice to see a success story. Smile

For future reference, you can get at the exact drivers needed for the restore CD for a particular PC by browsing a recent complete backup of that PC. There will be a folder named something like "Windows Home Server Drivers For Restore" in the root of the system drive backup. That should contain all of your network and storage drivers.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Ken,

That's a great tip.  It would have been much easier for me to use your idea if I had know about it.  As it was I had to scower the net for the correct drivers. I even had to open the box and remove the network card to read on the NIC what "model/version" of the card I had.  I will use your tip the next time I need to do a restore.  Good information for all. 

Thank for posting this tip. Also, please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for serving as a Moderator for this forum and the support you give here.

My best regards,

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:34 PM
  • I had a good experience as well. I installed Symantec Corp 9 on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with a fresh reformat and all MS updates. Symantec really did not sit well with it. Don't really know why.  It works on all my other pc's

Anyway, I inserted the restore disc and it was all done in minutes. I personally had no driver issues. It put everything back just as it was. "Like it never even happened." ..LOL.

This will come in handy one day when it's a lot more serious.  And I'm sure it will go just as well as this one did.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 3:08 AM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    I personally had no driver issues. It put everything back just as it was.

Judge,

I had to tell the restore where my HDD controller drivers and my network driver was.  Were all you drivers already there and you had to "add no drivers" for access during the Restore procedure?  If so, I am wondering why it "forgot" my drivers.  As Ken kindly pointed out above, the drivers are in the root directory in a recent client backup stored on the server so it knew what drivers were present on the client at one point in time.  Maybe it has to do with my not "connecting" the computer I was planning on diliberately "hosing" after I had the server running for a while? It is no big deal, especially since Ken told me how to find the drivers for each client on the server, but It just made we wonder when you said you had no driver issues and what made my Restore different.

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:49 PM