CRM 2013 Installation issue: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of installing CRM 2013 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. On CRM System check, I am getting following error

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

When I checked crmserversetup logs, I found following errors.

17:42:26|  Error| Check AspNetServiceAccountCanMonitorPerfCountersValidator : Failure: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

17:42:26|  Error| Check AsyncServiceAccountCanMonitorPerfCountersValidator : Failure: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

I setup 6 different domain user accounts for 6 service account required by CRM with appropriate permissions.

Any idea on this? Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:29 PM

All replies

• You say the accounts have the appropriate permissions - are the Asynch and Application service accounts members of the local Performance Log Users local group on the CRM server?

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:49 AM
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response.

Yes. Asynch and Application Service users have been added to local performance log users group on CRM server.

Looking forward to your response.

Mike

Mike

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:03 PM
  • still getting same error after verifying that Asynch and Application Service users have been added to local performance log users group on CRM server

10:58:56|  Error| Check AspNetServiceAccountCanMonitorPerfCountersValidator : Failure: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

10:58:56|  Error| Check AsyncServiceAccountCanMonitorPerfCountersValidator : Failure: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Mike

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same error on a CRM 2016 setup and have successfully corrected this way:

We gave the installation account (account running the setup) AD administrative rights on the service accounts.

Indeed, the CRM is modifying AD attributes on the services accounts during the checks (you can see in AD, the modication date is updated).

I haven't found this mentionned anywhere in CRM prerequisites / documentations.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:51 AM
  • With regards to 'modifying AD attributes' and that you haven't found any information on it.

If you take a look at this msdn article it mentions the permissions required by the account performing the setup.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:31 AM