Move WHS2011 OS Image (C:) to a different HDD? RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent the better half of this day trying to move my WHS2011 C: drive image (60 gb partition) to a different drive.  I have the backup drive.  Using the client backup route (USB key) doesn't work because it wants to connect to itself.  Using the Installation disk gets me all the way there but fails at "no disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found".

I've read posts about using Diskpart and such but as far as I can tell, I can't access those with the WHS2011 disk.  Any ideas?

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:28 PM

All replies

• The smallest supported HD is 160 GB. I would suspect the restore to the 60GB SSD is failing as it does not have the room to create the default D drive. Whether you can fudge this no idea. I have moved the system restores to smaller disk's by using Gparted to reduce partition size on the present HD and then performing a new backup prior to swapping drives.

In saying that, all of the HD's used were larger than the 160GB.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:05 PM
  • If you want to use a smaller disk as the system drive, and have a pre-existing installation of Windows Home Server 2011, the following (unsupported) procedure should be useful:

• Move all shares and client backups off of the second partition to other locations (other drives) in your server.
    • Remove the system drive from server storage.
    • Delete the data partition on the old drive.
    • Clone the system drive onto the new drive. (You could skip deleting the data partition, and just clone the rest of the drive.)
    • Replace the old drive with the new drive.

Cloning the system drive is faster than restoring the server, in most cases. If you want to restore the server onto the new drive instead, after deleting the data partition, back up the server, then restore onto the new drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:59 AM