Cannot connect to https://mydomain.homeserver.com RRS feed

• Question

• Last time I connected I was using IE7.  On IE8 on two pcs I cant connect now.

WHS console reports all is well with Remote Access   (settings/remote access) and all green checkmarks with the details button on the Remote Access.

Any ideas if IE8 is my issue or what other issues might exist where the console reports I am good to go, but I can make the connect.

My address is

https://jimwilleyathome.homeserver.com/

Let me know if you can get to the Home page.

Thanks
    Monday, June 1, 2009 8:52 PM

Answers

• I had no problem.

Please test from a location other than your home and your workplace. Testing from home sometimes doesn't work because consumer broadband routers often have problems "looping back" from inside the network to their external address. And testing from work may fail because your workplace may have a policy in place on their proxy server or firewall which prohibits access to your domain, the homeserver.com domain in general, or an IP address block which includes your home's external IP.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by James_W Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:10 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 9:24 PM

All replies

• I had no problem.

Please test from a location other than your home and your workplace. Testing from home sometimes doesn't work because consumer broadband routers often have problems "looping back" from inside the network to their external address. And testing from work may fail because your workplace may have a policy in place on their proxy server or firewall which prohibits access to your domain, the homeserver.com domain in general, or an IP address block which includes your home's external IP.
    • Marked as answer by James_W Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:10 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Thanks Ken

Was verifying that it still worked so my son could upload some files.   I will let him be my tester.

Jim
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:12 AM
  • There are still times I get the following IE message.  I am trying it from inside my LAN but sometimes I can access my page and some days I can't.

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:

• You are not connected to the Internet.
    • The website is encountering problems.
    • There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

More information More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

• Internet connectivity has been lost.
    • The website is temporarily unavailable.
    • The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    • The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    • If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

1. Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

1. Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    2. Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:55 PM
  • This may be related to the ability to loop back to the external IP address of your router that I mentioned previously. Do you, or does anyone else, see this happen when accessing your web site from outside your LAN? If not, then don't worry about it. If you need to access your server's remote access web site while you're home, you can use e.g. http://yourserver (without any domain information) instead of http://yourserver.homeserver.com.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:07 AM
  • As a matter of fact a number of people tell me they were not able to access my photo site https://sssssss.homeserver.com/familyphotos/

This link (not this specific link- I'd send PM if you want to try it) is in my Facebook profile.  I also send the link directly to some via email and sometimes the story is the same. I am wondering if DynDNS is somehow the culprit.  I do have it running as a service.  
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:16 AM
  • You can send me the link in email; mine is in my profile (remove the anti-spam device if you don't want an automated complaint sent to your ISP :)).

But probably what's going on is just that your external IP address is changing regularly. Each time that happens there's a period of time (between when it changes and the next time Windows Home Server updates the dynamic DNS server) when the recorded IP address is wrong.

What you can do to test, when you're home, is to wait until someone fails to access your site using your vanity URL, then test internally using http://yourserver (no domain). If that works, then the problem is off your server, and not a Windows Home Server issue per se.

Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Ken

Thanks for the additional information.  I was able to get to the home server web page from home.   Did have a bit of confusion in that my domain name was not exactly what I expected.    I needed to use the name that my network sees for the WHS rather than the public name I ended up giving it.  When I set up the remote access I did not use the same name.

Had a friend test from inside an S&P 500 company (connected from his home) and outside from home.  As you indicated he could not reach the page from inside the corporate net but could from outside. 

Jim
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 5:55 PM