Backup - how choose files/folders ? RRS feed

• Question

•    I have used backup programs before.  In each one I, the user, have been able to choose the folders and/or files I want backed up.  When OneCare tells me I have to back up I can't find anywhere to choose what I want backed up.

My C drive occupies 149GB.  OneCare's backup of my hard drive would take a LONG time and my backup drive (Western Digital Passport 250GB) doesn't have capacity for that much backup.

I have almost all the files (data-wise) I want backed up within the Documents folder.  Even within that there are folders I don't require backup for.

Does OneCare require an entire backup each time?

Is there a way to choose?

Monday, August 11, 2008 2:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• The initial One care backup is a complete backup of your data files and subsequent backups are incremental. One Care Backup FAQs - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944182/en-us

Supported file types - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943776/en-us

How to create a backup plan - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943914/en-us

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:06 PM
  • You've summed it up for me, OneCare backup is totally useless and *** for anyone who needs to backup specific folders other than the Microsoft specified ones.

Like most professionals I have folders and documents stored outside of My Documents, and for good reason. But Microsoft continues to punish customers who do this.

The bug in Windows XP Restore still exists for desktop files, that is if you have documents stored on your desktop (not shortcuts, actual documents) and then need to do a system restore Microsoft removes all your desktop documents, they disappear.

Microsoft stop with the control in OneCare, it is a very nice but way too restrictive, add a advance toggle button somewhere. The inability for me to choose what tasks to do at tuneup (I do not need to defrag my HDD once a week), select which folders to backup, and any more.

Been a customer and using since OneCare came out, was sure it would have improved by now.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:52 PM
  • OneCare backs up files matching your plan selections from the entire local hard drive *except* from the \Windows and \Program Files folder structure and excluding the file types that are not backed up no matter where they are located. There is no punishment for not using the recommended \Documents and Settings structure in XP or \Users in Vista, except that OneCare will not backup data that gets stored to a program folder except in rare cases (I believe that OneCare looks for Intuit financial files within the \Program Files folder, for example.)

While the process may seem odd, you can back up specific folders, as long as the files you want to back up are not the excluded file types.

When configuring the backup plan, select all file types. Once OneCare scans the drive and presents you with an estimate of the space needed, use the Exclude button to exclude all folder branches off the root C:\ except for those branches you want backed up. So, for example, if you created a folder called \Data that was located at c:\Data for all of your files and nothing in any other folder on the PC was important to you for backup, simply add exclusions for the \Documents and Settings folder and any other folders found in C:\ except for C:\Data

Defrag I agree with - it needs to be selectable/configurable.

-steve
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Hi, if as suggested the backup will copy all other folders/files not in Program files - I guess can work - will just mean to manually copy these files to a "not restricted" location.

Seems very weird one cannot select the folders requiring backup - I guess cant be that difficult to add that feature.

But the post answered my question.

Mike

Monday, October 27, 2008 4:23 PM
  • I used One Care on a Vista laptop and backed up all files on an external HD. That laptop is now in for repair and I need to access certain documents in the back-up, but do not want to restore those docs to the laptop I am temporarily using during the repair. I've tried searching the zip folders that One Care created for the back-up, but no luck. Any suggestions?
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:40 PM
  • You can either do what you already did, but not with Windows Explorer, you'll need a program like WinZip to open each zip file manually, or use OneCare to do a restore and select the option for a custom restore, which will allow you to search the backup set and select which file or files you want to restore.

-steve

Friday, November 21, 2008 2:45 AM