OneCare Circle network activity RRS feed

• Question

• Task manager's network display an my Hub now shows two bursts of network activity every minute which I believe started when I set up my Hub plus one PC Circle. The network activity stops when the 'client' PC is switched off.  There is also disc activity which I think is asscociated, presumably info is being recorded for each Hub update.

Are you able to confirm this rate of communication between hub and circle members ?

It seems a little excessive especially if I had a Hub and two other PC's buta at least I could stop wondering what else might be causing this regular activity.

Regards

Tom

Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:08 PM

Answers

• Thanks again -

I have now seen One Care (winss.exe) activity on the Vista Hub corresponding to the network activity. The OneCare activity on the Hub includes I/O which I didn't see on the XP circle member.

Tom

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:23 PM

All replies

• It sounds excessive, Tom. I don't see these bursts, but there is another thread in the forum from a User reporting disk thrashing *only* when OneCare is activated on that PC. It may be the same problem you are having.

I'm sure that there are packets sent on the local LAN when status is changed, but it should not be constant - only when status is changing on the client. An event on the client causes the communication to occur.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for the response Steve.

I will keep looking at network and processes to see if I can pin it down to One Care so I'll leave this up if I may.

Regards

Tom

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Steve/all

I have been using SysInternals Process Explorer, TCP View and the Task Manager to pin down the origin of the regular, once a minute, network activity.

The network activity definitely corresponds to some activity of One Care as process winss.exe as seen on the XP 'client'.  The same network activity shows on the Hub but I haven't checked processes there yet.

There is one regular large burst each minute and a smaller burst within the one minute cycle but I think not quite as regular.  The peak amount of network capacity used is tiny, perhaps 0.3 percent but what is it up to ?  I guess it could be normal activity but it means that the network icon in the tray shows as active a ot of the time.

Regards

Tom

Saturday, January 19, 2008 10:52 PM
  • I'm guessing that this burst is the client talking to the hub to report its status. Since the utilization is pretty tiny, that's my guess. I'll leave this unanswered for now, though, in hopes that we can get an official answer from the OneCare PM for this feature.

-steve

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:48 AM
  • Thanks again -

I have now seen One Care (winss.exe) activity on the Vista Hub corresponding to the network activity. The OneCare activity on the Hub includes I/O which I didn't see on the XP circle member.

Tom

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Thanks for all your investigating, Tom.

-steve

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:25 AM
  • I see winss and related chatter going on constantly between onecare nodes - that is part of the onecare circle.  I'd be interested in knowing what this is for as well.  Even when both PCs are idle the traffic still flows.  Seems rediculous.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:48 PM