How do you restore files deleted from WHS share from server backup device? RRS feed

• Question

• While updating MyMovies on my WHS box, I deleted my entire movie collection. They were in a folder I created called 'dvd', which is under the shared folder 'videos'.

I have a seperate box attached to my WHS box via eSata, that I backup the WHS to from time to time. Last time was 7/1/09, and it looks like I have aprox. 90% of my movies there.

So, how do I restore this back to the dvd folder under the shared folder 'videos'. I assume there would be a tool in the console, but don't see what I need.

I can see the b/u of the folder 'dvd' on the external box, do I simply copy it and paste back into the original folder 'dvd' under 'videos'?

Thanks,

Gene
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Gene,
    you could copy/paste (to the UNC path of the share, not to a folder on the local disk on the server) or as the intended method you could use the restore functionality within the console. But be sure to select the wanted folders and restore only missing data (there is a checkbox).
    Double click the server on the Computers and Backup tab to start that process.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Bumblebeast Monday, September 14, 2009 9:09 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Gene,
    you could copy/paste (to the UNC path of the share, not to a folder on the local disk on the server) or as the intended method you could use the restore functionality within the console. But be sure to select the wanted folders and restore only missing data (there is a checkbox).
    Double click the server on the Computers and Backup tab to start that process.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Bumblebeast Monday, September 14, 2009 9:09 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, 1st time I've restored the WHS box itself, thought it would be different than using WHS to restore a client, but see its not.

Regards,

Gene
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:10 PM