none
Language direction bug (maybe this helps for the solution) RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• My guess is that it's just the URL that's messed up. Maybe from a Google/Bing search?

They have to make sure every forum has a unique name, including other languages. So you can't have an "en-US/winforms" and an "es-ES/winforms" so that why it's "winformses".

Here's the URL you had: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformses/threads

Here it is with es-ES: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/es-es/winformses/threads

And that gives me the correct bread crumb trail with the "es-es" in the URL. And then I checked the English list of all the forums... http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

And the Spanish one isn't on there.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:08 AM
    Owner
  • Ed,

I know all you told already a long time. I'm already a little bit longer in this business you know, and beside that a long time contributor to Microsoft newsgroups and since they don't exist anymore to forums.

In fact I feel myself more than a little bit offended by you. 

It gives here the idea that it makes no sense to show bugs to Microsoft, some persons there know better, like if all is working well with the forum software. 

But the problem is even worse, taking an old link from a guy from a Spanish culture from Asia resulted in a link with as culture Japan.

It looks currently if there is somebody at Microsoft who thinks that if somebody comes from Asia, then we will set direct his culture .,

They don't know that es-US is not only a language setting. You will be surprised but a little bit different English is also used in England. As well is the second country where as first language Spanish is spoken in the world the USA.

Be aware persons are better. In some English forums are now Spanish questions simply answered. People have probably no trust that it will be solved.

Success
    Cor

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:59 AM
  • It does make sense to bring up bugs. I agree.

What's the bug? Because what I see is a wrong URL. Who gave you that URL? How did you get it?

The URL itself is not a bug. It's "By Design" and useful for some scenarios. The team wants that URL to be possible. So the question is... where did you get it?

Not trying to offend you. Just stating the facts. I know you've been around (I helped get you a lot of your Recognition Points by marking your great answers that no one else was marking), but that doesn't mean I know what you do know and what you don't know or that your longevity implies knowledge that may or may not exist. You say you know all this, but if you do, then what is the issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:13 PM
    Owner
  • Ed,

What I did when it was going wrong was going to the old threads of those persons and took an old link of them to the forum they wanted to visit.

That was a while going well. However, even that was going wrong last week. I took an old link, tried it, and what I got was a Spanish forum surrounded by Japanese characters (and those I cannot read), then looking to the profile of the person I saw she/he came from somewhere in Asia (but not from Japan).

The URL you see is wrong because the Spanish forum name ends with winformses while the English one ends with winforms. 

As language-culture identifier is however en-US used. That Url should not exist, currently it does however again and point to the Spanish forums, so I assume some repairs (redirections) have been done

Be aware I was not direct offended by you, therefore you are to active. It was more to show my reaction because of this message from which I got the idea it was told to you that you "must" write it in that way.

You know I write it, others never want a Microsoft product evermore. 

Success
    Cor

Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:29 AM
  • Can you provide a link, say to someone's profile activities, where the url is similar to what you posted? I could not find a similar url. I looked at the activity tab of several users in that forum (and others).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Ed,

As this is by design, then why are there so many people who place Spanish messages in the US forums. 

I still find this a strange url.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbes/threads

Did you ever read the book from Eugene Burdick?

I thought all educated Americans had read it. This is again a thread which show that some still have to read it.

Success
    Cor

Monday, April 29, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Ed,

As this is by design, then why are there so many people who place Spanish messages in the US forums. 

I still find this a strange url.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbes/threads

Did you ever read the book from Eugene Burdick?

I thought all educated Americans had read it. This is again a thread which show that some still have to read it.

Success
    Cor

I think that's the real potential bug (all the Spanish and Portuguese threads popping up in English forums). I submitted that as a bug request.

Thanks!

Friday, May 24, 2013 11:30 PM
    Owner