User management question(s) - WHS2011 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS2011 box is (almost) completely set up. My issue is about user management (in general) and specifically for accessing Launchpad from client PC.

1. I created a new user so I don't have to use "Administrator" user but that user does not show up under Dashboard for some reason. I know it is there because when I try to create a user with the same name, it says a user with the same name exists. No idea what is going on. However, the bigger question is, do I need a second user as a best practice or for home situations, Administrator is ok? In fact I can't even see Administrator in the Dashboard!

2. From my client PC, I cannot log in to Launchpad using "Administrator" or the other user I created. The error says that the user needs to be in the Dashboard. What gives?

Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:27 AM

All replies

• You are creating your users in the dashboard not through RDP ?.

Any users you require should be added via dashboard not via the OS add user.

This I would suspect is also why you are having Launchpad issues.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:52 AM
  • I did create the user from the Dashboard. Very bizarre. It was not even visible via User Accounts Control Panel. I have a copy in process. Once that completes, I will try a restart and see if it makes a difference.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Restart helped in the creation of a new user (with new name and everything). I still cannot see the other user :-(
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:29 AM
  • Restart helped in the creation of a new user (with new name and everything). I still cannot see the other user :-(

Whst is the other user's name?  Does it have any out-of-the-ordinary characters?
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:51 AM
  • No, it does not have any special characters. I had at some point (out of desperation) tried creating the user from User Accounts panel as well ... just fyi. :-(
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:05 AM