Why? RRS feed

• Question

• My company's IT guy had me download One Care because he was wanting to transition our 100+ computers over to it. Many of our free subscriptions have now ended. Our initial plan was to buy licenses for our computers but now that Microsoft has announced the end of One Care we won't be doing that. Here are our options as I see them.
     1. Keep OneCare installed but with no updated virus protection and then install the new Microsoft antivirus when it is     released (unlikely option)
    2. Uninstall OneCare and install a competitors antivirus long-term (probable).

Why didn't Microsoft make all subscription renewals free when they announced the end of OneCare? I bet lots of people and companies will not be willing to stick around for Microsoft's new antivirus offering.

I had high hopes for the Microsoft antivirus :-(
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:40 PM

Answers

• If you are a subscriber, you would be getting a 6 month extension for the subscriptions if they were close to expiring. When Morro is released you would be offered the option to switch over. After Morro is released, OneCare renewals will no longer be allowed.

The trial software and purchase of new subscriptions is still available at this time. However, for your situation with 100 plus computers, the issue is that you would need to purchase a subscription (online or using a retail key) for each 3 computers. A subscription covers up to 3 computers and is identified by a LiveID. A LiveID can only have a single subscription associated with it.

The beta of Morro is expected soon according to the rumors that began flying around yesterday on some of the tech sites. You could install the beta of Morro when the trial copies of OneCare expire.

If you choose to keep using the OneCare trial, the definitions will usually keep updating for a grace period of about 30 days as I recall. OneCare will be in red status, but it will still be updating itself.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:20 PM

All replies

• Hi dividian

I would keep Windows OneCare even if you don't get the up dates as the new antivirus is coming soon read these
    http://www.reuters.com/article/CMPTRS/idUSN1044924620090610
    http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/06/10/micros

chuck
    Windows Live Butterfly/ Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:11 AM
  • If you are a subscriber, you would be getting a 6 month extension for the subscriptions if they were close to expiring. When Morro is released you would be offered the option to switch over. After Morro is released, OneCare renewals will no longer be allowed.

The trial software and purchase of new subscriptions is still available at this time. However, for your situation with 100 plus computers, the issue is that you would need to purchase a subscription (online or using a retail key) for each 3 computers. A subscription covers up to 3 computers and is identified by a LiveID. A LiveID can only have a single subscription associated with it.

The beta of Morro is expected soon according to the rumors that began flying around yesterday on some of the tech sites. You could install the beta of Morro when the trial copies of OneCare expire.

If you choose to keep using the OneCare trial, the definitions will usually keep updating for a grace period of about 30 days as I recall. OneCare will be in red status, but it will still be updating itself.

-steve

Friday, June 12, 2009 12:20 PM
  • If your comany has a Microsoft Windows based server, you'd be far better off looking at one of the commercial offerings that include cetralized management.  OneCare, even the 'Server' version, was really never intended for more than 25 client 'seats' in one installtion.

There are many well established server based soultions available including ForeFront Security, though none of them are really cheap or free.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:01 PM

-steve

Is this extension supposed to be automatic? Mine has just automatically renewed and debited my credit card - can I get this money back?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:15 AM
  • If the subscription is a retail subscription, you should not have been charged if it was renewed within the last few weeks. I believe the free extensions began early in May. Prior to that you would have been charged. If it is a server subscription or the 25 seat server license, there is no corresponding offer.
    Assuming that the subscription that you were charged for is a retail subscription and that you ahve been charged for renewal within the last month, please contact customer service/support to determine if you are eligible for a refund. How to reach support (FAQ) -
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90  

Monday, June 15, 2009 1:07 PM