CRM 4.0, Outlook Profiles and awkward users. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

A small group of our employees (devlopers) work on shared desks at our office and need access occasionaly to CRM for updating service cases, accessing customer info and some custom entities.  There is a common account (we'll call it anyuser) they all use to log in and, up until now, they use Outlook profiles to get at their individual email accounts.

We recently had Dynamics CRM 4.0 installed... and quickly learned that the Outlook add-in didn't play too well with Outlook profiles; it seemed to only work when the profile used shared the same credentials as the currently logged in user.

I've not found any way to work around this with Outlook profiles, so set about doing it another way.

I decided to have a go with runas.  So - I logged in to the computer as a usera just to get everything up and running.  I then logged out as usera and logged back in as anyuser. Much beyond my expectation, everything seemed to work really well... I could now track emails as a user other than the one logged in.  I could also navigate CRM using the folder list, and I seemed to be able to access my options and things like the Set Regarding dialog.  Then a strange problem occured... I was unable to open an account record.  I would get the error 'The RUNAS command is not supported' from Internet Explorer.

It's a tantalisingly close solution to the problem... and in fact it's still better than Outlook profiles as the user can at least track emails.  What I don't understand, though, is what makes some dialogs throw this error and some not?  For example, Set Regarding appears fine, so does CRM... Options but Advanced Find and any of the Account record do not.  What is it that is different between Set Regarding and Advanced Find for example? After all they both open IE popup windows don't they?

I've drawn a blank searching for a solution to this.  I posted this as a last effort!  If anyone has any ideas, or even an alternative approach to the problem, I would much appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Adam.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:15 PM

Answers

• after further thought, I think this could work if the log in with their credentials; however, they may need to run the configuration wizard to set the CRm client to work with their profile.

It would be a hassle, but it would only take 1-3 minutes.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:45 PM

All replies

• Using Microsoft CRM with multiple Outlook profiles is not really supported.  I have heard of people copying the CRM files to each profile, but I haven't actully seen it work.  To authenticate, Outlook does need to be using the same credentials as the AD user of the CRM account.

If they are using CRM ocasionally to update service cases, accessing customer info and some custom entities, you may want to have them use the web client.  The only thing that they would need Outlook for is if they send an email and track it.

Don't know how you are going to be able to get around having different users with unique Outlook profiles use the Outlook client if their Outlook credentials do not have a unique CRM seat.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:48 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. 

Do you have any comment on the runas approach? This seems to tie in nicely with what you are saying... using runas means Outlook is running with the same credentials as the AD user in CRM.  There's just that one stumbling block that puzzles me with the whole Internet Explorer error.

I too have read things about people apparently getting Outlook profiles working.. by referencing a MSCRM.PST file... this doesn't seem to exist for us... I wonder if it may have been a workaround in an earlier version of CRM or Outlook?

The client diagnostics also alludes to it being possible with the text that appears in the warning when you have > 1 Outlook profile:

You have multiple Outlook profiles. The Microsoft Dynamics CRM add-in will be enabled only for the profile it was configured for. 

Well - I'd like to know what that means!! It doesn't seem to say Outlook profiles are not supported, but then I have no idea how I would configure the Dynamics CRM add-in for any user other than the user logged in???

Thanks,

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Yes, the text is correct, it can be installed on a machine that has multiple Outlook profiles; however as it says, it only works with the default profile, meaning that the other profiles it will not work with.  Regarding the runas, you are running Outlook as a different user, but when it launches IE (which it does behind the scenes to open the CRM forms) , IE is probably being launched as the running user, not the runas user, so I don't think it will work.

What would happen if instead of doing runas you had each user log in with their credentials?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:16 PM
  •  

You mean if the mountain won't go to Mohammed... ?

I suspect they'll settle for the half-working runas solution before choosing to log in like that... although I may be proven wrong there. We'll see! 

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:22 PM
  • after further thought, I think this could work if the log in with their credentials; however, they may need to run the configuration wizard to set the CRm client to work with their profile.

It would be a hassle, but it would only take 1-3 minutes.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:45 PM
  •  

You mean with outlook profiles?  The closest I got was with setting up 2 profiles... usera and userb where usera is the user who logged in to the machine.

Of course, everything works well for usera, but userb does not work at all.

I then ran the configuration wizard for CRM using runas with the /noprofile switch and userb as the user.

Sure enought, the CRM add-in was now present in both profiles, but all was not as it seemed. Although I had to enter userb's credentials when starting the outlook profile for userb in order that i could access the exchange account, I seemed to be accessing CRM with usera's credentials still.  I proved this by disabling userb's account in CRM and restarting outlook.  Sure enough - the CRM plugin continued to work away...

So it seems outlook profiles - even if you get a far as having the add-in installed and working, don't solve the problem.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:52 PM
  • You should set up a support case and ask Microsoft what the official answer to this question is.  I don't know of anything that states with 4.0 what their position is on multiple outlook profiles on a machine and supported ways to get it to work.  If you do talk to them, please update this case with the answer.

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:01 AM
  • multiple outlook profiles are not supported with ms crm . but MS can give you better support request.

Regards,

Imran

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:40 AM
  •  

I have posted a suggestio through Microsoft Connect.  I will let you know if and when I get a response.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 12:21 PM