First (of four) storage drives full, and second not taking over......HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone....I am having trouble with storage space. I have C and D rives for the OS and Shared Folders. And I have 4 2TB drives for storage (Specifically client backups). I have been successfully backing up to the F drive all along, but it is now basically full. The problem is that the server shows no sign of recognizing and beginning to use the G drive. The first screenshot is my setup, and the second screenshot is the result of my "playing around" to try to utilize the next drive, but to no avail. Can any point out what I am missing?

Sunday, February 3, 2013 12:57 AM

Answers

• Your server won't use multiple drives to store client computer backups. I would recommend you see if you can prune your backups to free up some space, removing some old backups, reducing retention periods, and perhaps entirely removing old computers that you no longer have.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:42 AM
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Yes to your first question. For the second question, yes if you want to use the built-in server backup functionality to back up the client backup database. If you want to handle it outside the automated backup, you could format a large drive using GPT, create a single > 2 TB partition on it, and put the client backups on it.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:40 AM

All replies

• Your server won't use multiple drives to store client computer backups. I would recommend you see if you can prune your backups to free up some space, removing some old backups, reducing retention periods, and perhaps entirely removing old computers that you no longer have.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Ken, Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that for client computer backups, I am limited to one single drive? And is that single drive limited to 2TB? 
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:09 AM
  • Yes to your first question. For the second question, yes if you want to use the built-in server backup functionality to back up the client backup database. If you want to handle it outside the automated backup, you could format a large drive using GPT, create a single > 2 TB partition on it, and put the client backups on it.

Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Ken, Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that for client computer backups, I am limited to one single drive? And is that single drive limited to 2TB? 

On my WHS 2011 system, I use a dynamic disk as the host for the client computer backup share.  Currently it is 2 x 2TB spanned volume for a total of 4TB backup storage.  This is necessary as my client backup requirements significantly exceed the 2TB volume limit in WHS 2011.  I have had no problems restoring clients either at the file level or bare metal.

If you want to explore this, I recommend a Bing search and some research to know what you are about.  You cannot create a dynamic disk via the Dashboard; you must log into your server as the Administrator and run Disk Manager to set this up.

Please note that dynamic disks cannot participate in Server Backup, so you will need a different backup strategy for any data you store this way.  For my purposes this is fine, since the Client Backup data is already "backed up" on the clients. 

This is not a supported WHS 2011 configuration by Microsoft, so do this at your own risk.  However, dynamic disks have been a part of Windows for years and are quite stable and good.

• Edited by Gary Voth Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:38 AM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:35 AM