No access rights to run the PP1 update when stored under Software folder on the server! RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully downloaded the PP1 German from Connect server to the \\[myserver]\Software\ folder and it seems that the file is fine.

1) I did not manage to convince the Web Browser of the WHS to do the download as he refused to install the active-x element for the file transfert despite me having changed all the rights related to active-x to "ask" or "allow" in the security options of the iexplorer. I always get an error message in the top bar saying that the "Security settings of my computer are not allowing to install active-x..." the only option I get presented is the option "more information" -> So I download the package from an other computers Web Browser and stored it under \\[myserver]\Software\

2) When I logon with Admin Consol (as Administrator) to the server and browse to the \\[myserver]\Software\ folder and try to double click on the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 GERMAN Update Package\WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-DEU.exe I get an error message telling me that I do not have enough rights to access this object !?!?!?!?

I am really puzzled what is going on. I moved the folder to the Desktop and there I can run the installation fine, is it safe to run the installation from some where else then the Software folder and why can't I run the software directly from the software folder as administrator?

Friday, June 20, 2008 7:36 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can run the installation from your desktop.

Andrew

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:54 PM
  •  

"and more over why from the admin console I cannot run the update file (nor any other exe under SOFTWARE folder) whilelogged in as Administrator?" - because the admin console is not sdesigned for you to run or install softare from other than WHS Add-ins that have been developed specially to be installed from the Add-ins area on the console.

If you want to install software on your WHS you need to be logged in directly to the WHS (as I said either physically on the box, or via RDP, not via the console).

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:21 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can run the installation from your desktop.

Andrew

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:54 PM
  •  Bavaria R wrote:

1) I did not manage to convince the Web Browser of the WHS to do the download as he refused to install the active-x element for the file transfert despite me having changed all the rights related to active-x to "ask" or "allow" in the security options of the iexplorer. I always get an error message in the top bar saying that the "Security settings of my computer are not allowing to install active-x..." the only option I get presented is the option "more information" -> So I download the package from an other computers Web Browser and stored it under \\[myserver]\Software\

2) When I logon with Admin Consol (as Administrator) to the server and browse to the \\[myserver]\Software\ folder and try to double click on the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 GERMAN Update Package\WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-DEU.exe I get an error message telling me that I do not have enough rights to access this object !?!?!?!?

Thanks, successfully installed the PP1 update with the update .exe on WHS Desktop, but still would love some hint on why I cannot convince Internet Explorer on WHS to accept Active-X runing / download despite having set all security options correctly (hope so) and more over why from the admin console I cannot run the update file (nor any other exe under SOFTWARE folder) whilelogged in as Administrator?
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:43 AM
  •  

"and more over why from the admin console I cannot run the update file (nor any other exe under SOFTWARE folder) whilelogged in as Administrator?" - because the admin console is not sdesigned for you to run or install softare from other than WHS Add-ins that have been developed specially to be installed from the Add-ins area on the console.

If you want to install software on your WHS you need to be logged in directly to the WHS (as I said either physically on the box, or via RDP, not via the console).

Andrew

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Right, that is of cours what I mean and did use, I wanted to reuse the wording from the PP1 Release Documentation "Windows Home Server Administrator’s Desktop" and wrote "Admin Console"! Of course I logged in via RDP, but still had this issue.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:49 PM
  • I seem to be having a similar problem with installing a trial version of Avast on my home server.
    I too downloaded to my software share.
    RD into my WHS and tried to install.
    Unable to install - got "you may not have appropriate permissions" message.
    Tried using "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" in the advanced security tab of the directory. This has previously resolved any permissions problems I have had.
    Still no luck.

Would anybody like to go to
    http://www.avast.com/eng/download-windows-home-server-edition.html
    and see if they can duplicate this issus?

I'm going to try downloading to another location and then copying across to the software share to see if this resolves the issue.
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 6:57 AM
  •  Redgum2112 wrote:
    I seem to be having a similar problem with installing a trial version of Avast on my home server.
    I too downloaded to my software share.
    RD into my WHS and tried to install.
    Unable to install - got "you may not have appropriate permissions" message.
    Tried using "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" in the advanced security tab of the directory. This has previously resolved any permissions problems I have had.
    Still no luck.

Would anybody like to go to
    http://www.avast.com/eng/download-windows-home-server-edition.html
    and see if they can duplicate this issus?

I'm going to try downloading to another location and then copying across to the software share to see if this resolves the issue.

Instead of downloading the .exe which you are having problems with, just download the .msi and install it via the console.

Andrew

Sunday, June 22, 2008 7:06 AM
  • Thanks Andrew - I installed it via the console as you suggested.
    I'm still half curious as to why access was denied.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 2:12 AM
  •  Redgum2112 wrote:
    Thanks Andrew - I installed it via the console as you suggested.
    I'm still half curious as to why access was denied.

Did you try to install from the network share?  Or did you copy the exe to the server desktop and try to install it from there?

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:33 AM
  • I was trying to install from the network share.

I think I have it worked out - although I haven't seen this previously.
    When I clicked on properties in the general tab is a statement about this being from an untrusted source (or similar, I can't recall the exact wording and, of course, it is now gone).
    If I click to trust the file, then the message disappears.
    I can then run the file.

Nothing to do with the security tab at all.
    I must have just missed looking for this previously.

Monday, June 23, 2008 12:24 PM