Re-installing windows xp pro RRS feed

• Question

•  

I deleted some sp2 files trying to erase the sp2. Then ended up deleting hard drive. My install windows cd is responding with a iastor.sys problem or error,  from d:\ boot\ etc.....   Need help on what to do, I have already done the fdisk in command prompt. Do not know if it is correct.

Gio

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:12 AM

Answers

• Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Hello Giovanni,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic.  In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. The best option as Carey pointed is reinstalling the Windows on your system. Hopefully you made file backups prior erasing/working with the SP2. 

Please review Setting up Windows XP webstie should you need any help located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx

Also you may visit the Discussions in Windows XP General forum for additional questions located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Giovanni,

You are welcome.  Thank you for visiting the  Windows Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of WGA program.  Please visit the Discussions in Windows XP General Newsgroup Forum located here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US  .  I will attempt to provide information but should you need further guidance please visit the XP Newsgroup Forum posted above.

Sounds like your hard drive totally crashed. Hopefully you keep back up files such as: pictures, internet favorites, spreadsheets, databases, word documents and all your other important files. At this point you probably will not be able to retrieve this data because you have already reformatted the hard drive. 

Do you have the original software which came with your system @ the time of purchase? First using your friends software which may be a genuine copy or as you say copied from the internet is not following the software licensing agreement as outlined in the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  If the software was downloaded from a website please post back and let me know the URL.  Under NO circumstances should you try to download an ISO image for software from a P2P file sharing site, or use a second-hand burned copy of an XP CDROM.  Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and who knows what else--you'd be worse off than you are now.  Your best course of action is to contact your computer's technical support. Inquire what the cost is for a recovery/restoration media disc and order the appropriate recovery media for your model number. This disc will restore your computer back to factory settings. Also another source information is researching the forums of your computer manufacturer for recovery media. 

There are other options available also such as purchasing software directly from Microsoft @ http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/.    

You mention a clean up tool but not sure exactly what you mean.  You may run the checkdisk and use defragmentor. Please review the following information for Setting up Windows XP located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx . This will provide great information for preparing you and the hard drive for a fresh installation of Windows XP. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Gio,

Who is the manufacturer of your computer or is the computer a customer built system? Do you have a laptop or tower? More than likely the software you had is OEM version. In turn you need to contact the manufacturer of your system. Please call their Technicial Support and order the recovery software. Recovery media will restore your computer to factory settings so you can be up and running. Another great source for assistance is researching the manufacturer forums and ask for guidance. Some system manufacturers place the recovery software in a hidden partion on the hard drive. This will allow users to restore their system should the need arise that is if your hard drive hasn't experienced a hardware failure or the user didn't delete the partion. Please work with their Technical support and/or research on their website for guidance.

Thank you,

STephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 12, 2007 3:39 PM
  • Ok, sounds good. I did install the hardrives myself, they are Western digital. I'll check my sources.

thank you

gio

Friday, October 12, 2007 9:48 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Hello Giovanni,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic.  In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. The best option as Carey pointed is reinstalling the Windows on your system. Hopefully you made file backups prior erasing/working with the SP2. 

Please review Setting up Windows XP webstie should you need any help located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx

Also you may visit the Discussions in Windows XP General forum for additional questions located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Thank you. For your response I will try to clean it out if I understand what you mean. Is there a clean up tool? I do not have any access to my drive. All I have is the install disc, which my friend fortunately copied off of his disc, I think or the internet, anyhow i do have my activation key. Once I get it installed. Is it possible to have a bad disc?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:35 AM
  • Giovanni,

You are welcome.  Thank you for visiting the  Windows Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of WGA program.  Please visit the Discussions in Windows XP General Newsgroup Forum located here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US  .  I will attempt to provide information but should you need further guidance please visit the XP Newsgroup Forum posted above.

Sounds like your hard drive totally crashed. Hopefully you keep back up files such as: pictures, internet favorites, spreadsheets, databases, word documents and all your other important files. At this point you probably will not be able to retrieve this data because you have already reformatted the hard drive. 

Do you have the original software which came with your system @ the time of purchase? First using your friends software which may be a genuine copy or as you say copied from the internet is not following the software licensing agreement as outlined in the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  If the software was downloaded from a website please post back and let me know the URL.  Under NO circumstances should you try to download an ISO image for software from a P2P file sharing site, or use a second-hand burned copy of an XP CDROM.  Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and who knows what else--you'd be worse off than you are now.  Your best course of action is to contact your computer's technical support. Inquire what the cost is for a recovery/restoration media disc and order the appropriate recovery media for your model number. This disc will restore your computer back to factory settings. Also another source information is researching the forums of your computer manufacturer for recovery media. 

There are other options available also such as purchasing software directly from Microsoft @ http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/.    

You mention a clean up tool but not sure exactly what you mean.  You may run the checkdisk and use defragmentor. Please review the following information for Setting up Windows XP located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx . This will provide great information for preparing you and the hard drive for a fresh installation of Windows XP. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Well. that is what I am afraid of, is that fact downloading it from the copied disc. I do have my activation key, which i had purchased with the package. About 4yrs ago, I have moved twice since then. And cannot find my backup discs, do you think I am going to have to purchase the windows xp pro, again? I do need to get back on service, Im losing money every day that goes by......

thank you

gio

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:30 AM
  • Gio,

Who is the manufacturer of your computer or is the computer a customer built system? Do you have a laptop or tower? More than likely the software you had is OEM version. In turn you need to contact the manufacturer of your system. Please call their Technicial Support and order the recovery software. Recovery media will restore your computer to factory settings so you can be up and running. Another great source for assistance is researching the manufacturer forums and ask for guidance. Some system manufacturers place the recovery software in a hidden partion on the hard drive. This will allow users to restore their system should the need arise that is if your hard drive hasn't experienced a hardware failure or the user didn't delete the partion. Please work with their Technical support and/or research on their website for guidance.

Thank you,

STephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, October 12, 2007 3:39 PM
  • Ok, sounds good. I did install the hardrives myself, they are Western digital. I'll check my sources.

thank you

gio

Friday, October 12, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Sorry, to bother you again, but what is

' file iastor.sys has caused and unexpected error (32768) at line 3540 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

press any key to continue

press any key to restart computer

Thank you

gio

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:36 AM