Solution found for "Can't install Security Update for Windows XP (KB2686509) Error Code: 0x8007F0F4." RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this post is in the wrong section, I could not find a category addressing Windows update errors.

I recently did a clean install of Windows XP Professional on a newer machine with a SATA drive.  Since XP does not support these drives I needed to use Nlite to slipstream the appropriate drivers into the installation.  Another feature of Nlite allows the installer to add and remove components of Windows such as service packs, language support and keyboard layouts.  I removed all keyboard layouts from the installation except for the keyboard on the machine I was installing to.  After finishing the installation and updating Windows through Windows Update the security update KB2686509 failed repeatedly with error code 0x8007F0F4.  I tried using Microsoft Fix It and virtually all other solutions provided by Microsoft Support but still could not install the update.  Since the update has to do with keyboard layouts I had one last option that was not discussed in the Microsoft Support pages.  Using Nlite I again made an installation disk appropriate for my machine but this time I did not remove any of the keyboard layouts.  After installation I was able to install all updates, including KB2686509 without any errors.

If you are receiving this error and are using a slipstreamed version of Windows XP make a new installation disk and do not remove any keyboard layouts.  This should prevent this error from occurring.

Monday, March 4, 2013 7:00 PM