Installing Dynamics CRM for Outlook silently or MSI only RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

Does anyone know either of the following?

(1) If Dynamics CRM for Outlook can be installed without SetupClient.exe i.e. just using an MSI ?

(2) If there are any switches available for SetupClient.exe for silent install. (note SetupClient.exe /? reveals none)

Any knowledge or advice well appreciated

Friday, December 12, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• Thanks Ross for you help. Having delved further I understand that this can only be deployed using SetupClient.exe. Page 7-91 onwards of the document "Microsoft_Dynamics_CRM_IG_Planning.doc" details the switches.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

•  

It can be installed as a software package via Group Policy in Active Directory.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 6:01 PM
  • You can install over SMS or another package deployment.  The implementation guide goes in decent detail on the xml config file needed to automate configuration of the outlook clients.  You can download it here
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Yes we will be installing via SMS but actually that was not the question.

Currently the setup comes as an .exe. I would like to know if there is an MSI only solution (not repackaging). If not then I would like to know the command switches for the SetupClient.exe.

Monday, December 15, 2008 11:02 AM
  • I'm not aware of an MSI package only.  The implementation guide goes in a lot of detail about installing over SMS, so I'd suggest reading that for details about the switches.  I also found this blog post that may help.  It covers SMS but not the Xml config (if you are looking to automate configuring the outlook client after the install) http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/02/22/how-to-deploy-microsoft-dynamics-crm-client-through-sms.aspx
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:39 PM
  • Thanks Ross for you help. Having delved further I understand that this can only be deployed using SetupClient.exe. Page 7-91 onwards of the document "Microsoft_Dynamics_CRM_IG_Planning.doc" details the switches.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:18 PM