Installing Windows XP from a Sysprep Image or Windows XP CD on Dell PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

My question is this. I have a large number of Windows XP Dell Computers that I support in a Windows 2003 Domain. The setup of each of these workstations is very complicated with all of the different peices of software both licensed software and inhouse created software as well as all of the settings needed to make them all work nicely together. To make things easy I used Sysprep and Ghost to create an image so all I would have to do is Ghost the Workstation with my Image and plug in the Windows License key from the sticker on the Dell PC's Case. This worked like a charm until recently with the release of Windows 7 and Vista. The Dell PCs I have gotten recently no longer have a Windows XP License Key Sticker but rather a Windows 7 or Vista Sticker. As I have paid for the both XP and Windows 7 Licenses in the purchase of these Dell PCs how do I find out what my Windows XP License would be? I would much rather continue as I have been that to install from scratch each PC.

Or is this question better suited for Dell?

Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:35 PM

Answers

• Marking this thread as Answered, however, this conversation was Off-topic for this forum.

Darin MS
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hello Newftronics,

Sysprep is designed and supported by Microsoft for use with Volume Licenses.  It is NOT designed to be used for deployment (or redeployment) of OEM licenses.  OEM licenses are to be deployed with the OPK (OEM Pre-Installation kit).

Once the CoAs changed over from XP to Vista and now Win7, "the party's over" as far as using sysprep to do what you have been doing.

You wrote, "As I have paid for the both XP and Windows 7 Licenses in the purchase of these Dell PCs."  Ah, no you did not.  You paid for an OEM License for Windows Vista or 7.  There is a provision within the OEM license that allows you to downgrade to a previous OS, which for your purposes is Windows XP Professional.  The downgrade rights place the onus on obtaining installation media and product keys on the end user, which is your company.  Again this is the difference in Volume Licensing (some plans of which allow for downgrade rights to a previous OS, and part of the VL agreement is Microsoft provides both the installation media and the XP Pro VLKs to use).

The real solution is to communicate this to decisionmakers in the organization that control the customized software.  It needs to be rewritten to keep up with the times.  Either that, or move to Volume Licenses.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Thanks for your Condescending remarks I posted a question as I wanted to know the correct way of doing things. I see no issue with using the Windows XP License Key Supplied by Dell on my older PCs when installing my syspreped image. The question was now that I do not have that Windows XP License Sticker on the Dell PC Case what do I do. As for my newer PCs without the Windows XP License Key Sticker well I guess I will as you say work on getting the apps to work on the new OS or move to Volume Licenses ( pay a second time for the same OS ).
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:00 PM
  • FYI - You can install Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise editions and then install Windows XP Mode.  It would make more sense to create an image, with Windows XP Mode, using Windows 7 Enterprise edition.

For assistance with deploying Windows 7, please visit the Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment Forum

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:08 AM
  • Marking this thread as Answered, however, this conversation was Off-topic for this forum.

Darin MS
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:35 PM