New motherboard advice please! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I'm upgrading to a gigabit network so though I would change my WHS mobo.

Does anyone have any good advice on a good mobo with the following:

GLAN

4 x Sata II

Mini ATX

HDD activity lights for each drive.

My present setup is:

AS-Rock 775i65G SATA 150 LGA 775

Celeron 2.8 CPU

2x WD 250gb Drives

Mini ATX case and PSU

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Any of the above can be changed so if a whole new setup would be better feel free to say so!

Joe

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:15 PM

Answers

• In case this helps anyone I have gone for this:

http://www.inno3d.com/products/motherboard/Sl73um_hdmi.html?t=112609

The HDMI isn't strictly necessary but a useful investment. The cooling controller is the best I have see. Especially good if you use the server in a cold room like an attic or basement. It reduces the fan revs to virtually nothing when not needed.

Great for conserving energy seeing as the server is on all the time.

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:41 AM

All replies

• In case this helps anyone I have gone for this:

http://www.inno3d.com/products/motherboard/Sl73um_hdmi.html?t=112609

The HDMI isn't strictly necessary but a useful investment. The cooling controller is the best I have see. Especially good if you use the server in a cold room like an attic or basement. It reduces the fan revs to virtually nothing when not needed.

Great for conserving energy seeing as the server is on all the time.

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:41 AM
  •  

No sure on the HDD activity light - best bet it to buy some sort of caddy for the lights.

On the board it should be Q965, G965, Q35, G33 or smilar.  I think alot of Asus and Gigbyte boards have the 2003 drivers.  Intel brand boards don't, but the diesign is reference so the Intel chipset drivers are fine.

Which country are you located in? (So someone can point you at any good offers).

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:24 PM
  • I used ASUS P5E-VM DO mobo from NewEgg ($104+shipping) for my WHS build last weekend.

I copied the install CD for the mobo onto a flashstick for the WHS software to read.

I couldnt use the ASUS CD itself because it wouldnt run on the WHS OS.

I just went through the files on the flashstick to install the network and sound drivers. The drivers are in their own folders and are self installing once you hit the executable.

With a E4500 chip and 2gigs of RAM, the whole install took just less than one hour.

Risky wrote:

No sure on the HDD activity light - best bet it to buy some sort of caddy for the lights.

On the board it should be Q965, G965, Q35, G33 or smilar.  I think alot of Asus and Gigbyte boards have the 2003 drivers.  Intel brand boards don't, but the diesign is reference so the Intel chipset drivers are fine.

Which country are you located in? (So someone can point you at any good offers).

Monday, March 10, 2008 5:55 PM
  • In the  UK. I now have a good board so will probably look at the caddy option. Thanks.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:19 PM
  • I have just built a WHS using an Asus P5K-SE mobo. No frills, so cheap, but includes the essentials:
    Intel S775, P35 chip
    Gigabyte ethernet
    4 x sata internal
    1 x sata external
    1 x PCI Ex16, 2 x PCI Ex1, 2 x PCI
    12 x USB
    no onboard graphics, raid, crossfire, sli, wifi, but does have 8-channel HD audio

To this I have added:
    1 GB DDR2 memory left after an upgrade for Vista
    1.8GHz Pentium D Core E2160 processor.
    2 x 500 GB Samsung hard drives

As I did not understand how to do the installation through another "home" computer I am temporarily using a spare keyboard, mouse, dvd and a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD2400P card with a screen. The setup disc provided by Asus would not run, complaining that the operating system did not match. All drivers were therefore loaded through device manager, choosing the Server 2003 options where possible. It all seems to work.

Not sure how it will all work out, but it has been fun. At present this competent bit of kit just sits there, backing the other computers up overnight  and serving up data when required, but no more. It is capable of so much more, if only allowing the installed Windows Media Player to play some background music. For that I will, I suppose, have to head for the software addins forum. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be pleased.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:53 AM
  • I second the recommendation of the Asus P5E-VM DO, although Newegg.com currently has it for $122 shipped. I don't know if it supports HDD activity lights for all drives, but it does have 6 SATA II ports on the board, so I assume it is able to do activity lights for each drive.

The hardware I'll be using can be found in the last post of this thread.

One other thing I'd highly recommend is to have at least 3 physical drives, with the largest/fastest drive being the primary disk where WHS is installed.

First, the primary disk is what shows up as your "free space" when copying files to your WHS. Files are then moved from that drive to your "storage" drive(s). So even if you have 3TB of disks, only the free space on your primary disk shows up as being free.

Second, data replication/redudancy won't happen with fewer than 3 drives. Files moved off the primary to your storage disk will only be redudantly saved if you have at least two storage disks.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:54 PM
  •  

HI Joe,

If you're in the UK forget DIY and get an HP ML110 or equivalent Dell, £159.99 on ebuyer,

http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?qfind=ML110

Cheers

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:14 PM
  •  

I can find that ML110 G4 for <GBP120delivered which is making it a rather attractive buy. (Have a quick google and pick one).

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:35 PM