locked
CRM Client Config RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    I am having problems connecting test users from an XP machine to my demo CRM server. I get an access error

    "The system could not log you on. "This could be because your user record account
    or business unit you belong to has been disabled in Microsoft CRM".
    Logged in as an administrator I can connect fine.

    I have just installed CRM for Office Outlook on this machine which is connected to the machine and domain where I have my demo CRM server with Business Small Server

    Here is what I have done so far.

    I have upgraded CRM from 3.0 to 4.0 on small business server (sbs) using a
    demo CRM server database.

    On a spare xp machine I have installed CRM office outlook and I am trying to configure the test users to connect to the

    demo CRM server. The machine is hooked up to the other machine with SBS, CRM Server.

    As Administrator I can connect ok (I type in http://sbstest and it connects fine)
    But when I log as any of the test users I get an access error saying the
    system could not log you on. "This could be because your user record account
    or business unit you belong to has been disabled in Microsoft CRM".
    On the CRM server, all accounts and business units look fine.
    So why can't any test user connect to the CRM server?
    Any settings or anything else that needs to be checked?

    Any help would be most welcomed.
    thanks

    Robin

     

    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:43 AM

Answers

  • Just one CRM server.

    All I did was upgrade CRM from 3.0 to 4.0 on my Small Business Server.

    No copying was done.

    What I noticed following the upgrade was that users became disabled from business units and some roles became missing from security groups such as Marketing Manager. This effectively caused the access problem and I have resolved it just today.

    Friday, January 25, 2008 4:02 PM

All replies

  • Robin

     

    I couldn't quite work out whether you had two SBS server or not or indeed whether there are two CRM databases involved.

     

    If you've copied a CRM database from one SBS server to another then the user accounts in the CRM database won't work in the new domain even if they have the same name. That's because CRM uses the internal GUID for the user name and the user accounts in the CRM database won't match any user accounts in the Active Directory.

     

    If this is the case (and apologies if I've misunderstood) then you should use the redeployment tool on the copied CRM system to restablish links between the users in the CRM system and the user accounts in Active Directory. (I think this means that you will need to uninstall CRM on the new system, run the redeployment tool to fix up the users and then reinstall CRM).

     

     

     

     

    Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:12 PM
    Moderator
  • Your question is bit confusing. Can you clarify your scenario?

    1. how many CRM Servers you have?

    2. Is demo CRM Server having the same IP range as your client computer.

    3. What URL did you enter while installing the CRM Outlook client.

    4. Go to Users section and check the user status. It must not be blocked.

    5. Check the business unit to which your user belong, it may be disabled.

     

    Don't forget to add the port # with URL.

     

    Friday, January 25, 2008 12:29 PM
  • Just a thought : have you done the user mapping described in the readme files that come with the manufacturing or governmental vertical samples ?

     

    I quote :

     

    Quote

    1)    AD redeployment

    o   Install the redeployment wizard from the MSCRM installation CD found in the Redeployment Tool folder.

    o   Create a new set of AD users, matching the number of users from each vertical. See the Appendix 1 for a detailed users list.

    o   Run the Redeployment Wizard and manually map the users from the original set to the newly created users in the target environment, using the Appendix 2.

     

     

    François Uldry

    Friday, January 25, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Sorry if it is confusing. I will respond to the questions and in fact I have resolved the case through question 5, so thanks for prompting me to check that because for some unknown reason all users from one of business units were disabled following the upgrade from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0

    1. One CRM server (sbstest)

    2. No CRM server has different IP range from client computer

    3. Type in http://sbstest/

    4. Yes all users enabled

    5. This is the main problem. All users from the business unit Adventure Works Cycle (the main CRM database name) were disabled. Why? I certainly did not disable them from the business unit unless the upgrade did this.

    If users are disabled from the main business unit called Adventure Works Cycle but are enabled in another business unit with active roles then I would have thought those users would be denied access to the CRM server but they are not.

     

    Also some roles from security roles such as Marketing Manager were missing. Again, why? Did this happen during the upgrade?

     

    Finally one of test users known as Gail Erickson was set up correctly under username of GailE but under the business unit of Adventure Works Cycle she was showing up as GailC, perhaps some typo by myself during the SBE configuration wizard but the system should not have accepted this user as it did not exist.

    Friday, January 25, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Just one CRM server.

    All I did was upgrade CRM from 3.0 to 4.0 on my Small Business Server.

    No copying was done.

    What I noticed following the upgrade was that users became disabled from business units and some roles became missing from security groups such as Marketing Manager. This effectively caused the access problem and I have resolved it just today.

    Friday, January 25, 2008 4:02 PM