none
Share Folder - cannot access? RRS feed

• Question

• One more time please.  I have set up several shared folders on WHS and marked them as Full access for the Guest Account.  I have three W7 systems connected to WHS PP3.  All three machines use the same User Name and Password so I am using the Guest account in WHS.  When I try to use the folder named "RoboForm" Windows/WHS will not allow me to access it from the client machines.  I get the dreaded "Windows cannot access \\ServerName\RoboForm".  I have turn off all the machines and restarted and I have tried the log off log on routine.  Any idea and what WHS has against a folder with "RoboForm" in the name?!!  I set up several other folders at the same time in the same way ("Money", "Quicken", "Ken", etc.) and they all work just fine in all three machines.  Confused.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:57 PM

All replies

• One more time please.  I have set up several shared folders on WHS and marked them as Full access for the Guest Account.  I have three W7 systems connected to WHS PP3.  All three machines use the same User Name and Password so I am using the Guest account in WHS.

FYI, you shouldn't need to use the Guest account just because you have 3 clients that all have the same user name and password.  The Guest account is used so that anyone can access your server (with whatever permissions you grant the Guest account).

When I try to use the folder named "RoboForm" Windows/WHS will not allow me to access it from the client machines.  I get the dreaded "Windows cannot access \\ServerName\RoboForm".  I have turn off all the machines and restarted and I have tried the log off log on routine.  Any idea and what WHS has against a folder with "RoboForm" in the name?!!  I set up several other folders at the same time in the same way ("Money", "Quicken", "Ken", etc.) and they all work just fine in all three machines.  Confused.
    Did you create the shares that work before or after you created the RoboForm share?  Have you tried removing the share from the server, rebooting the server, then creating it again?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  Yes, I added a couple of folders before and after the RoboForm exercise.  I shut down WHS and restarted as you suggested and now I can access the RoboForm folder.  Looks like WHS had to clear it head!  I must have done some trick to screw it up but I don't think I can repeat.  I use the Guest account because WHS wants a minimum of 5 characters (secure) for the password.  I trust the two users on my home network and use the minimum (my initials) to log on to the W7 systems.  I do have several accounts set up for remote access and I gave into the secure password requirement.  Is there a way to force W7 or WHS to handle this enviornment?  I would be more than happy to us something other than the Guest account but I'm lazy and don't want to key in a longer log on password several time a day as I move from room to room making changes to one system or another that requires re-booting.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  Yes, I added a couple of folders before and after the RoboForm exercise.  I shut down WHS and restarted as you suggested and now I can access the RoboForm folder.  Looks like WHS had to clear it head!  I must have done some trick to screw it up but I don't think I can repeat.  I use the Guest account because WHS wants a minimum of 5 characters (secure) for the password.  I trust the two users on my home network and use the minimum (my initials) to log on to the W7 systems.  I do have several accounts set up for remote access and I gave into the secure password requirement.  Is there a way to force W7 or WHS to handle this enviornment?

You can change the password requirement to weak (which will allow any password or even no password at all).
    I would be more than happy to us something other than the Guest account but I'm lazy and don't want to key in a longer log on password several time a day as I move from room to room making changes to one system or another that requires re-booting.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:18 AM