failed activation of a second computer. RRS feed

• General discussion

• one care is actually the worst program setup system i have ever used.

i have tried four times now to install the onecare virus protection software on a second computer and still it does not work.

it takes you through the full process, ask's you whether you already have a subscription and if you want to use a current subscription by applying another computer to that subscription.

after entering your current subscriber ID it then tells me that it is already in use and that it therefore cannot be used to fully install the software on my second computer?

if that isn't the most ridiculous thing iv heard, it then doesn't allow you to enter that part of the setup with uninstalling and reinstalling the program so you have to start the 20minute program all over again.

the help is no better and doesn't seem to allow you to log into your own account to sort out your problem.

microsoft you have for once failed in providing an even remotely decent product and i will be taking this program back to the store and demanding a full refund!!!
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Rob, activation is not as intuitive as it could be. To add a second computer to your subscription do not use the product key. Your subscriber ID is the Live ID ( e-mail address ) and password used to activate One Care on the first computer. If you enter only the Live ID and password One Care should activate on the second computer.
    Jim
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:13 PM
  • i agree that trying to add a second computer to livecare circle is confusing annoying and frustrating. i have tried 4 times using the number that was given to me to add to second computer it will not accept it. i am at wit's end and wish i could find phone number to live care to give them a piece of my mind.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 3:40 PM
  • You don't use the code to activate a second copy. You must "subscribe" from within OneCare by signing in with the *same* LiveID that you used to originally activate on the first computer.

On the first PC, open OneCare and click Help and then About to see your Subscription ID. That is the LiveID to sign in with.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 23, 2009 3:54 PM