Vail iSCSI support? RRS feed

• Question

• Going through the docs now but.... does the improvements to Drive Extender include iSCSI support?  I've got a DroboPro that I would LOVE to be able to include as part of the default drive shares in WHS but will continue on using regular windows shares if I have to...
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Obiwan07

Vail does have support for iSCSI initiator. 

HTH

Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the reply - but does Vail have support for iSCSI as part of Drive Extender?  WHS 1.0 supports the initiator as well but the drives are not recognized by Drive Extender.

Thanks.

Monday, April 26, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Hi Obiwan07,

Yes, Vail can take advantage of iSCSI drives as part of Drive Extender.  You can add iSCSI drives to your storage pool.

HTH

Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by obiwan07 Monday, April 26, 2010 7:56 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:19 PM
  • woot!  Thanks!
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:56 PM
  • I have to admit that in a home environment I fail to understand why you would want to run your server on iSCSI drives. Or do you have a dedicated network for the traffic that will be generated?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:11 PM
  • The drobo pro connects either to a dedicated nic or in my case to a switch dedicated to iscsi traffic (I use one lun on the drobo for vmware testing).  iSCSI performance over 1gb on the drobo is MUCH faster than USB 2.0 and I havent tested, but from the reviews I read, much faster than the firewire connections as well.  

I dont have enough drive bays in my WHS box to support the 6.5TB of Pictures and Videos we seem to have accumulated so iSCSI was the best solution for me.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Just out of curiousity, anybody know if iSCSI worked on WHS1 (not meaning "supported")?
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:27 AM
  • Some users were able to configure an iSCSI initiator, I think, so there was a small amount of success, but in general no.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Myron,

Define 'if iSCSI worked on WHS1'.  The reason I say this is that the Microsoft and other iSCSI initiators install and work fine as they would on any Win2k3 server install.  The issue is that DE initializes before the initiator so any iSCSI storage is not available to DE and there for not available to the shares controlled by the WHS Console, computer backups, etc.  I am assuming that the WHS features like streaming also do not work with the data stored on iSCSI either though I didnt try.

I put videos on the default share in WHS so that My Movies could see them and then setup individual shares on my iscsi device (drobo pro) for users, music, etc.  I also have a media server running on the server to stream to non Windows boxes and to stream the music from the non-whs shares.

I have to add more ram and swap out the process on my whs box soon anyway so maybe I'll give vail a shot... moving around 6+TB of data is going to be a pain though. :)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Myron,

Define 'if iSCSI worked on WHS1'.  The reason I say this is that the Microsoft and other iSCSI initiators install and work fine as they would on any Win2k3 server install.  The issue is that DE initializes before the initiator so any iSCSI storage is not available to DE and there for not available to the shares controlled by the WHS Console, computer backups, etc.  I am assuming that the WHS features like streaming also do not work with the data stored on iSCSI either though I didnt try.

I put videos on the default share in WHS so that My Movies could see them and then setup individual shares on my iscsi device (drobo pro) for users, music, etc.  I also have a media server running on the server to stream to non Windows boxes and to stream the music from the non-whs shares.

I have to add more ram and swap out the process on my whs box soon anyway so maybe I'll give vail a shot... moving around 6+TB of data is going to be a pain though. :)

Thanks for the details, obiwan07.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Myron,

i would NOT put your production data on Vail this early in the dev stage.    I have added a drive to the Vail storage pool over iSCSI and it is working without any observable problems so far.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:58 PM
  • thanks for the update flad.  I'm thinking I may just make a Vail VM and then mount a small iscsi lun and play around and see what I can break :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Yes thanks for info, I don't know how to do VM but now I can use a NAS that can be an iSCSI target and then put Vail on my old laptop as my testing machine, I was wondering how to do it in a laptop and have a decent amount of data available
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:46 AM
  • I would have loved for iSCSI to have been supported in WHS V1. I tried every which way and was not on of the lucky ones. I also tried running WHS in a Virtual environment and creating Virtual disks that were on the iSCSI. I also have an iSCSI VLAN on my network to handle the traffic.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 2:02 AM
  • obiwan07 Users MedalsUsers Medals: My name is Max and my e-mail is maximillianrg@gmail.com   I'd love to talk to you abour your home setup as I have WHS 1, My Movies with about 700 movies and am picking up a DroboPro unit tomorrow.  I'm fine not adding the Drobo to Drive Extender pool amnd and was wondering if Is there a way  My Movies can rip movies to and monitor the droboPro connected via iScsi? 

Also - Am I better off buying a second NIC for the WHS and connecting the DroboPro directlly to the WHS box or just connecting the DroboPro into  the switch?

Max

WHS_retail version
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Hi Max,

If you are using My Movies to also feed a box running Windows Media Center, the WHS version of My Movies cannot stream the data from a non WHS created share.  I do not know if you can rip from My Movies or not as I do that manually with MakeMKV and/or Handbrake.

For everything to work with the DroboPro shares and My Movies I would recommend installing the non-WHS version on the WHS box and having it do all the work - does not show up in the dashboard BUT works fine in all other scenarios and will work as well when moving to Vail if you decide to go that route.

As for using iSCSI, you need a dedicated nic as far as I can tell in Windows and its best any way to get the traffic off the regular network.  You CAN connect the drobo to a switch and then 'share' the drobo's iscsi connection between multiple computers but I found the performance to be not that great with multiple connections so I am just using a direct connection between my whs box and the drobo for best performance.

obi

Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Alec

Thanks so much for the e-mail.    Can you skim the following and let me know if it will work. 

So my present setup is this.  I have my WHS box with a 120GB boot drive (2)2TB Drives and (4)1TB Drives.   I also have Twonky and My Movies installed on WHS.   Twonky allows me to stream content directly from WHS to DLNA supported devices like my TV.

Also on my network is a Windows 7 Box and I have the My Movies for Windows Media Center loaded on that.  I also have a Linksys DMA2100 which is configured on the Windows 7 machine.  The linksys talks to the Windows 7 box and the Windows 7 box talks to the server and all works great

So my Plan is this.  Please let me know if this will work:

1) Drop a second NIC in the WHS and a 3TB Drive in the DroboPro
    2) Connect the DroboPro to WHS via iScsi
    3) Copy 2.5TB of data off the server to the DroboPro
    4) In the WHS Dashboard, remove a 2TB Drive
    5) repeate steps 3-4 untill all data is moved to the DroboPro and the only drive in WHS is the boot drive

Lets Say the Drovo is Drive M on the Server  my next steps are

6)  Either remove and re-install My Movies or point everything to drive M so ripping and monitoring works

So in theory, I still get the auto ripping from WHS as well as the auto download of cover art for the Linksys DMA2100 and future XBOX's, I have the security of the drobo for data vs DE, and the only thing I cannot do is manage the shares on Drobo from the WHS dashboard which is ok

Am I missing anything huge?

Max

WHS_retail version

Monday, January 17, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Depending on how your are going to setup your partitions on the drobo - i suggest doing all initial setup connected via usb.  There is a bug in the drobo software that does not allow you to delete/create partitions on the drobo correctly when connected via iscsi under windows 2003 server and later (found out the hard way!)

You cannot manage the shares on the drobo in the dash board either since the mappings are outside of the DE storage pool, need to do it all via rdp.

As you can see, WHS loses a lot without DE in play in the current model. :(  I use it for system backups which it seems very good at for me.

For me, I"m using My Movies for WHS (for now) since it can monitor the folders just to build the database and grab image files for me until I get my htpc back up and running at which point I will have to install the full version of my movies on it again.  I use serviio to do the dnla stream across my network.

Monday, January 17, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Alec

Are you using DrobpPro Firmware 1.1.11 and dashboard 1.7.3?

Thanks

WHS_retail version
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Hey Max,

Just confirmed, yes, I am using those versions.

Monday, January 17, 2011 6:51 PM