I can't activate onecare. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am very disappointed with Microsoft Windows Live OneCare.  I purchased OneCare at a Circuit City but am having great difficulty activating it.  None of the on-line instructions make any sense.  Microsoft also makes it difficult to find any toll free telephone number so that I can talk to a live human being.  I would not recommend this product (or any service from Microsoft) to anyone because of extremely poor customer service.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:11 AM

All replies

• How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Activate Windows Live OneCare

Because Windows Live OneCare is a subscription-based service, we require users to use their Windows Live ID to activate their subscription. For more information about Windows Live ID, see Find Help for Windows Live ID.

If you downloaded OneCare from the Windows Live OneCare website, you must purchase a subscription before the trial period ends to continue to receive updates and to have access to all the features of OneCare.

If you purchased a retail version of OneCare, a one-year subscription is included in the software purchase price, but you still must activate it. We recommend that you activate OneCare as soon as you can.

Important

When you activate OneCare, you must use the same Windows Live ID that was used to install OneCare.

Windows Live OneCare website, you must purchase a subscription before the trial period ends to continue to receive updates and to have access to all the features of OneCare.

If you purchased a retail version of OneCare, a one-year subscription is included in the software purchase price, but you still must activate it. We recommend that you activate OneCare as soon as you can.

Important

When you activate OneCare, you must use the same Windows Live ID that was used to install OneCare.

To activate OneCare:
    1. Open OneCare, and then click Subscribe.
    2. If you have a Windows Live ID, click Yes, I have one, and then click Next.

–or–

If you don’t have a Windows Live ID, click No, I need one, and then click Next to create one.

3. In the OneCare Activation wizard, enter your Windows Live ID and password, and then click Sign in.
    4. Click Continue online, and then select one of the following:
      • Subscribe Now: Click this option if you downloaded and installed the 90-day trial version of OneCare and you want to purchase a subscription with a credit card.
      • Activate a token: Click this option if you purchased OneCare at a store. When prompted for the prepaid PIN, use the 25-character product key. The product key is listed on a sticker inside the OneCare box, on the back of the disc holder.
    5. After you've set up your account, in the OneCare Activation wizard, decide whether you want to make the computer a hub PC, and then click the appropriate option.
    6. Click Finish.
    Notes
    • If you choose to purchase a subscription, OneCare is automatically upgraded to the subscription version of the program as long as you have signed in with the same Windows Live ID that you used when you originally installed OneCare.
    • You must be logged on as an administrator to perform this action. For more information, see Log on as an administrator
    Monday, February 4, 2008 2:24 AM
  • after completing steps 1 through 4, the program says

"this product key is already in use".

yet WLOC says it needs to be renewed/updated,

the same cycle starts over and over again.

if you have this complaint from many subscribers,

why wouldn't this be fixed by now?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:42 PM
  • this previous message was posted at 7 a.m.

It is now 3 p.m.

what kind of tech support is this?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:27 PM
  • If "the product key has already been activated", that means it is already linked to a Live account. You need to login to that account in OneCare to activate your PC. If you can't remember which account it was activated on, then contact support with your product key and they should be able to tell you.

Here's an FAQ on how to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:44 PM
  •  alfred woolfolk wrote:

this previous message was posted at 7 a.m.

It is now 3 p.m.

what kind of tech support is this?

This isn't tech support. This is a community forum.

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:03 PM

after completing steps 1 through 4, the program says

"this product key is already in use".

yet WLOC says it needs to be renewed/updated,

the same cycle starts over and over again.

if you have this complaint from many subscribers,

why wouldn't this be fixed by now?

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate the reinstall.

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:05 PM
  • on the billing screen it indicates that my subscription is canceled--even though I bought a new hard copy and punched in the product key of the program  a couple of months ago.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:04 PM
  • really, steve?

if ths program had tech support,

i wouldn't be posting here.

is the tech number is a secret?

Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:11 PM

really, steve?

if ths program had tech support,

i wouldn't be posting here.

is the tech number is a secret?

Check your email, alfred, the one in your public forum profile.

OneCare tech support is available. You need to validate your subscription and then you are presented with the options available to you. However, in your case, you will likely only be offered email support as there appears to be an issue with your subscription. I don't know why it would be canceled, but support should be able to help you. The link for how to open a support case is posted above.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 12:14 AM