HDD issues on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Samsung SP1604N with 160GB. My OS is Windows Home Server and My bios is Award V6.000-1/20/2001. I noticed that my HDD only shows as 31GB when I look it up on the BIOS and It also shows as 31GB HDD in the WHS Console. When I look on the Windows Explorer it shows up as a 54.5GB HDD. My question is why isnt my HDD showing up anywhere as a 160GB HDD? 

I also remove the HDD from the console and now I get calculating sizes... and its pretty much stuck there. Any ideas? can someone help
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:22 AM

Answers

• damian_i15 said:

I have a Samsung SP1604N with 160GB. My OS is Windows Home Server and My bios is Award V6.000-1/20/2001. I noticed that my HDD only shows as 31GB when I look it up on the BIOS and It also shows as 31GB HDD in the WHS Console. When I look on the Windows Explorer it shows up as a 54.5GB HDD. My question is why isnt my HDD showing up anywhere as a 160GB HDD?

I also remove the HDD from the console and now I get calculating sizes... and its pretty much stuck there. Any ideas? can someone help

My guess is because your BIOS is too old.  Way back in the day, there was a limit of 127 GB on a hard drive.  And since it sees 31 GB seen plue 127 GB not seen (due to limitation) = 158 GB (approx 160 GB, the size of your drive).  You should see if there is a firmware update for your mobo.  Or, better yet, get a new mobo.  Do you really want to trust your data to a server that has a mobo that is 8 years old?
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:50 AM