none
Trying to reinstall Windows and various problems have come up. I need help.

Question

• So everything was going fine, i dont have a disk drive so i downloaded the installation media onto the usb drive i had cleared of everything, i got my product key with a script txt document i also found online; And when i went to restart to boot to usb drive, i wanted to "repair issues with my pc" first to clean my drive and restore the broken windows files i had, (the code 80070490 was a frequent one, i also was restarting in the first place because nothing i did would fix the issue that i cant click links outside of chrome. It wouldn't start chrome by clicking a link, if chrome was open the page didnt open, i also couldn't run chrome without running as administrator, or hovering over it and saying "new window") 

So i'm at the repair issues blue screen with "refresh pc, restore pc, and advanced options" 

Now. for purposes of convenience, i'll put all the problems i've had in a list.

1. I can't start the installation of windows 8.1 because my product key "isn't valid" even though it's 100% legit.

2. I've read somewhere recently that windows 8.1 uses a different type of product key. So i figured if i just upgraded to 8.1 it would give me a valid 8.1 product key.

3. So i tried to go to the store to download 8.1 and the store was "unavailable, please contact your system administrator" my reaction was, "??? i AM the system administrator, who am i gonna contact, 'uh yeah, sorry to bother you sir but your computer is saying that it's blocking you; do you have any idea what that's about?'"

This is where things got too complicated. I'm sure i've done something wrong, but ..

4. So i bypass the "system is unavailable" by using a .reg file online to disable something in the registry.

5. once i do that i click on "update to 8.1" it also says it's this time "blocked" by the system administrator. Now just to let you know i've also looked it up and i think this is related to my windows files being broken, because i have a broken windows update file i can't be allowed to update to 8.1 So i bypass this too with a .reg file to disable it in the registry.

6. Now that it's done i had to sleep after 6 hours of trying to fine a solution to all this, I wake up this morning and windows 8.1 is installed and nowhere does it say "hey, here's your new product key. use this instead"

7. Let's backtrack a bit, because there were more problems yesterday. So my first conclusion after it denied my 100% legitimate windows 8 pro product key was that it senses that my windows is still installed so why would it allow me to install another copy? So i tried to go to "repair my computer for issues" then "completely redo your computer" So that then it would uninstall windows and i could start fresh (then i didnt know that windows 8.1 had a new product key system). Well then it said "cannot wipe hard drive, necessary partition is missing" Now i have no idea what this means since i only know partitions belong to hard drives, but i looked it up online and it could yet again be one of two problems, a problem with my broken windows update file, or my motherboard i think.

8. I am using a Gigabyte F2A99X-UP4 "ultra durable" motherboard by AMD. In my bootup settings there is no "clear hard drive" option. i HAVE to use windows to clean my disk drive for a clean reinstall because i have no disk drive and no more usb's left probably not big enough at least to burn a disk with a hard drive "memory deletion" process to use pre installation.

9. But there is a "UEFI only, or Legacy only, or UEFI and Legacy" setting in the bootup. Now on a certain page after i was looking up the 80070490 code i was getting it said after i tried to redo my hard drive with the error "could not wipe hard drive, necessary partition is missing error 80070490" This could be wrong but at one point i got both of those two errors at different or the same time(s).

10. now on this website it told me that computers with GPT (again, no idea what this is  but i'm pretty sure i have it) can only repair or wipe hard drives with windows if the bootup is set to "UEFI only" So i did. i expected it to work at this point. it doesnt. it didnt make a difference.

11. I now have a broken windows file, i cant click links, i cant open chrome without a bypass way, i can't reinstall windows  8.1 after a clean wipe, i'm pretty sure when you reinstall windows you need a microsoft account, and if that's true it's my dad who has it, and if that's true and they did send me a product key to my linked microsoft account then that means my dad has it and i just called him and i'll wait for an answer.

So basically i'm at a loss of what to do right now, because i need to be able to clean my hard drive, and reinstall windows after that. and i doubt i can do it without a 8.1 valid key. in the long term future i want my free installation of windows 10. and if what i've done cancels out any chance of that through doing this that really sucks because i'll need to buy a copy of windows 10 just because my computer needs reinstallation. Pls help

EDIT: So i just recently found that when you go to computer > properties it shows at the bottom a "Product ID: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

Should i use this? is this my new 8.1 product key? When i run the same script i used to get the product key last time it shows the same result as always, but this one is new and different and in a different format. I'm gonna wait 30 minutes before trying it. Pls reply.

• Edited by ChromeFlux Saturday, June 13, 2015 6:55 PM Addition
    • Moved by Just KarlModerator Monday, November 16, 2015 6:28 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 5:30 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 8.1 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:28 PM

All replies

• I doubt you are going to get ANY answers from Microsoft as they have become ' user friendly ' unfriendly and the next time I buy a computer it will be an Apple computer FOR SURE , also, words speak volumes when informing my family and friends on what to buy and what not to buy like Microsoft anything these days  .. With that said , I was told by someone (other then a Microsoft tech) that windows 8.1 is integrated on your motherboard and widows should have read the so called ' product key '  with their own script associated with the installation of Windows ... I bet you are saying ' yeah right ' about this time reading this . And to think I was just about to reinstall windows 8.1 ?? tsk tsk ,, I think I will just wait until this piece of crap dies because of windows and go buy that apple instead . Mikey

• Edited by MikeyEnergy Thursday, November 12, 2015 5:42 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 5:36 AM
  • Hello,

The 'Academic Initiatives - Technical Queries' forum is for posts Related to technical / coding / programming related issues as related to Microsoft's Academic Initiatives.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:26 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 8.1 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:28 PM