none
Anyone else build their own WHS? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was intrigued by the whole "home server" idea. I decided to build my own instead of getting an out of the box one. Since I build my own computers I figured why not build the server so I could put better quality parts and much more customized options in, everything so far is working great except for my online access, I am having an issue with that, which hopefully will be resolved tonight when I call & pay MS to hopefully fix it.

I was just curious if anyone else built there own and if they had any issues or glitches.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:53 PM

All replies

• ... which hopefully will be resolved tonight when I call & pay MS to hopefully fix it. ...
    Don't. :) 

Windows Home Server, as installed by end users, is not supported by Microsoft. They probably won't be able to help you (so they won't actually charge you :) ). 

What problem are you having with remote access?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 13, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Everything seems to work great inside of the house but when I try to access it through the web it says “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate. This organization’s certificate has been revoked.” I am starting to think that since I built it myself maybe I am missing something in the set up to "certify" my server. I am not sure, but I am not going to be happy if I just spent all this money on a machine that will not work.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 6:31 PM
  • There is nothing wrong with the server you built.  It is simply a form of security for IE.  To correct the problem and be able to access the server you simply need to open Internet Explorer and from the menu choose this.

Tools
    Internet Options
    Security
    Trusted Sites
    Sites
    and enter the address of your server
    Add

Many people have built their own WHS including myself and you should not have any problems simply from doing that.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:15 PM
  • I tried adding both the http: & https: versions of xxxxxx.homeserver.com & xxxxxx.homeserver.com/remote, the main screen appears with the little "log-in" button at the top right, when I click that is when I get the screen that says “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate. This organization’s certificate has been revoked.” Unless I am missing something else I am supposed to add to the trusted site list.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:21 PM
  • The security warning is harmless in this case. The certificate that Windows Home Server uses, when not patched at all, is what's called "self-signed", and the warning you're seeing really reflects that (though it doesn't say so).

I suspect that you're still running the original RTM Windows Home Server software, though. The issue I mention above was addressed in an update over a year ago; when you sign up for an xxx.homeserver.com domain you automatically get an SSL certificate tht supports that URL. In the Windows Home Server console, could you click on Settings, then on Resources, and list the version numbers from that view?

Monday, April 13, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

This is all of the most recent updates that I know of.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:29 PM
  • That should be current. Where are you testing access from? At home, sitting next to your server? Or somewhere off your local network?
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:33 PM
  • I've tried from home, both on and off my network, from work, from a friends house, and from my Blackberry. Funny thing is my Blackberry lets me access the server, everywhere else I get the certificate error without the option to continue anyway. I dont know if I need to somehow get a certificate on my server or what, I am sure if I bought the HP in a box server this probably would not be happening. But since I have the money into this now I would really like to get it figured out. Everything else works good all my computers are backed up media is streaming fine...just the internet access is giving me trouble which I really need to work so my family can access it.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

This is all of the most recent updates that I know of.

Have you tried connecting to your server from more than one computer outside your LAN (perhaps have a friend try it)?  (You could always temporarily post it here if you like.)  Also, considering you are getting a revoked message (which is not the normal error message), you could try setting up a different web address (MS has some words blocked, perhaps that is causing your problem).  Other than those possibilities, I think the only real options left are A) Server Reinstallation or B) submit a bug report on Connect.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:38 PM
  • I can try tonight when I get home to try different server names, but yesterday I did try 2 other names with the same error. If I can't get something figured out soon maybe I will change the name to something different and post it here. Otherwise I will just suck it up and pay MS to try and fix it, if they fix it great at least it is done, if not then at least they don't charge me but I will then have to decide what to do next. I do appreciate everyones help though!
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Have you tried connecting to your server's Remote Access web site from inside your LAN, using the URL https://server/remote? (Substitute the name you assigned your server for server...) What happens then?
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Tried that, same error. I called MS, they are supposed to call me back in 1-4 hours. Also called my ISP as a precaution, they informed me they do not block any of the ports or anything for a home server. Actually the guy on the phone was very nice and informed me he runs a home server as well. Hopefully MS can resolve this and I will make sure to post the answer if they do, so future people that have this issue wont have to go through what I do. I am guessing because I built my own server is where the issue lies, but if they can fix it then I am still glad because I got to add a lot of custom features with no propritery parts, and I know the inital 3TB I installed will come in handy. Thanks again for everyones help and I will keep you posted.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:55 PM
  • You can try uninstalling Power Pack 2, to see if that helps. Also, if you're willing to let me know what your vanity URL is (my email address is in my profile here, just follow directions and remove the anti-spam device in it) I can test locally and examine the certificate...
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Tried that, same error. I called MS, they are supposed to call me back in 1-4 hours. Also called my ISP as a precaution, they informed me they do not block any of the ports or anything for a home server. Actually the guy on the phone was very nice and informed me he runs a home server as well. Hopefully MS can resolve this and I will make sure to post the answer if they do, so future people that have this issue wont have to go through what I do. I am guessing because I built my own server is where the issue lies

Nope, I built my own as well (Sept 2007).  Works like a charm even to this day.  :)  I don't recall anyone else ever posting here about a certificate being revoked.

but if they can fix it then I am still glad because I got to add a lot of custom features with no propritery parts, and I know the inital 3TB I installed will come in handy. Thanks again for everyones help and I will keep you posted.
    Have you installed any add-ins or apps on the server (even if you uninstalled them later)?  Where did you get the DVD from?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:14 AM
  • I got the DVD from Newegg.com.

I talked to MS last night and they are as suprised as I am with the issue. Apparently my server is fine but there is a conflict with some of their certificates and someone else. When I pulled up view certificate it was actually one registered to Go Daddy (something) and the tech was like well that is not good. He said it is not a "security" issue I need to really worry about but more of one MS needs to straighten out because certificates should not be clashing. Also it seems like Vista has more of a problem then XP. My brother was able to access it no problem last night from his XP machine but when he tried from his Vista machine he got the error I get. MS said they had to do more research and are going to be calling me back today.

Even though I had to cough up some MORE dough to MS they are being very helpful and al least assured me my machine was fine. Maybe they will give me a deal for finding a certificate error on their servers...yeah right.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:25 PM
  • I got the DVD from Newegg.com.

I talked to MS last night and they are as suprised as I am with the issue. Apparently my server is fine but there is a conflict with some of their certificates and someone else. When I pulled up view certificate it was actually one registered to Go Daddy (something) and the tech was like well that is not good.

GoDaddy is the certificate provider.  It should be issued by Go Daddy Secure Certification Authority.  TBH, the fact that MS support thought that that was "not good" shows how much their support staff knows about their own product (and also why Ken said don't bother calling them in the first place).

He said it is not a "security" issue I need to really worry about but more of one MS needs to straighten out because certificates should not be clashing. Also it seems like Vista has more of a problem then XP. My brother was able to access it no problem last night from his XP machine but when he tried from his Vista machine he got the error I get. MS said they had to do more research and are going to be calling me back today.

Even though I had to cough up some MORE dough to MS they are being very helpful and al least assured me my machine was fine. Maybe they will give me a deal for finding a certificate error on their servers...yeah right.
    They told you that there is no security issue with your server, that it's an issue that MS needs to straighten out due to certs clashing (which you can't control), yet they still charged you?  Frankly, if it were me, I would call them back and demand a refund (talk to a supervisor if necessary).  If they refuse, I would call my credit card company, explain to them what happened and instruct them not to pay MS for that charge.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:16 PM
  • On a client computer open the certificate (lock icon right from adress bar in IE7), go to details tab, browse down to CRL Distibution points, click on it once to find the URL for the CRL distribution point. Copy the URL, open CRL list and check if serial number of your certificate (also in the details tab of the certificate) is listed. If not please checkout kb294305. If yes you could try and contact GoDaddy.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Found it in a Certificate Revocation List said the reason is:

Cessation of Operation (5)

Found this in a search:

The certificate is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was issued, but there is no cause to suspect that the private key has been compromised.

Hope MS can resolve this, I dont like having people try to access sites that pop up warnings and such. Thanks for the info, I will let you know what happens.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:48 PM
  • (UPDATED) What ever happened on this? I am now having the same problem. While all shares, backups, etc. work fine I cannot access remotely (nor can others). Even asccessing it by IP address as https://192/168.1.xxx fails with the revoked certificate message.

I have an HP MSS EX475 that has been working remotely with no problems since 22 January 2008. I only noticed it failing a couple weeks ago shortly after installing IE8. (I had not used remote on my WHS for a week or so after that installation.) Wouls removing IE8 resolve this? (Does IE7 automatically get reinstalled if I do that?)

(Update #2) I did find one revoked certificate by going into MMC-->Add Snap-In-->Add-->Certificates-->Computer Account-->Local Computer. Under the Intermediate Certificate Authority the Certificate Revocation List shows "Verisign Commercial Software Publishers CA, Verisign, Inc, Internet with  an effective date of 3/23/2001 and a Next Update of 1/7/2004.

John
    • Edited by JohnBick Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:54 PM
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:20 PM
  • What ever happened on this? I am now having the same problem. While all shares, backups, etc. work fine I cannot access remotely (nor can others). I even tried asccessing it by IP address as https://192/168.1.xxx from a local client to no avail.

I should point out that this has been working fine since 22 January 2008. I only noticed it failing a couple weeks ago.

John

I am having problem loging in remote mode.  The set up says "verifying that your remote site is available from the internet".  I used windows live id to set up the remote domain name.  What I am doing wrong? Upnp and port 80 are fine and opened.  How do I make my remote site available for online use?
    Thanks
    Dee
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:42 PM
  • OK, I am beginning to understand what I did to myself...

Seems I inadvertently configured a WHS test server to have remote access and gave it the same domain name as my HP MSS. The test server uses uPnP while the MSS has a fixed IP address. And, of course, all the appropriate ports are (manually) forwarded to the MSS.

This is not a formula for success....

I un-configured the test server and turned off it's remote access. I then deeleted the xxxxx.homeserver.com certificate on the test server.

I did the same on the MSS, except I did not turn the remote access off. I waited a couple minutes and reconfigured it with the original domain name.

I can now access the MSS as 192.168.1.20 ... FINALLY!!!!  I can also access in locally using the domain name again ... YES! Now to test it from a real (outside) connection -- but I think that will work!

John
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:11 AM
  • I am having problem loging in remote mode.  The set up says "verifying that your remote site is available from the internet".  I used windows live id to set up the remote domain name.  What I am doing wrong? Upnp and port 80 are fine and opened.  How do I make my remote site available for online use?
    Thanks
    Dee

You need to also forward port 443 to your server as well.  Also, if you have any further questions regarding settiing up the Remote Access website, you should start your own thread.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:49 AM
  • And yes, it is now working.

CAUSE: Multiple units trying to use the same dynamic name. (This was my error.)

SOLUTION: Delete the xxxxx.homeserver.com certificate from BOTH, configure the Remote Access in BOTH, selecting RELEASE on both,  wait a couple minutes and then configure again on the one you want to retain active. (It may still take a couple hours to promulgate things so don't get impatient.)
    John
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Anthony, have you found a solution to the certificate issue? I'm experiencing the excact same problems. As you, I attempted to build my own WHS. Everything is working fine from inside my home LAN and the remote acces settings in WHS tells my that the upnp and everything else is also working fine, but whenever I try to acces my server remotely, I get the message
    "There is a problem with this website’s security certificate. This organization’s certificate has been revoked.”
    I've tried accessing the server from a Viasta and XP machine, and both inside and outside my lan, from home and from work. Yet it is still the same. I have also tried exporting the certificate from the computer with Connector software installed and installing it on another computer - still the same. The certificate is also issued by godaddy.

My WHS is fully updated with powerpack 1 & 2.

Any suggestions?

Friday, October 2, 2009 11:14 AM
  • I too am having exactly the same problem with my home built server.  I am using WHS with Service pack 1.  It's becoming extremely frustrating as nothing that I do seems to work.  I'd appreciate any help that anyone can offer.  Thanks.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:44 PM
  • I too am having exactly the same problem with my home built server.  I am using WHS with Service pack 1.  It's becoming extremely frustrating as nothing that I do seems to work.  I'd appreciate any help that anyone can offer.  Thanks.
    This thread is about whether to build your own server or purchase a pre-built.  If you're having a problem, you should start your own thread.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:39 PM
  • Sorry, first time ever on this site; I didn't realize that whether to build or buy was the topic of this thread.  Ended up her via a Google search.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 2:34 AM
  • I built mine, started with the trial version and have bought the OEM.. Love it so far...

Mike
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:09 PM
  • I built my own WHS frankenserver and the only remote issues I have had were related to a flaky router. Once I replaced the router it has been mostly trouble free for remote access. My work blocks full access but I can access the shares.  I use the add-in that emails me the warnings so I know when the server has at least come back up online - after an outage with my isp.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:51 PM
  • I've just built one myself.  It works great!

Mine is actually running as a virtual machine under Virtual Server 2005 (on a Windows Server 2003 box).
    I didn't see the point in getting a whole new box, just to make a few backups every now and then.

Also, its a great idea for providing remote access.  However, I've been unable to figure out the following:
    Should I be able to use RDP Client with the WHS as the gateway from off the LAN (over the internet) ?
    I know that you can use the web browser to get to them (just like using the TSWeb interface) -- but is that a requirement?
    (and is it just me, or is this information really hard to find)

Cheers,
    Mike
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Yes and very recently. In fact I waited until I had bedded down my machines on Win7 (2 on Home Premium, 1 on Professional) before starting my trial. After a week I am well satisfied and am going permanent when my DVD arrives.

My hardware is basically from a home built desktop m/c which was retired earlier this year.

Mobo DFI with nF4 chip, onboard SATA but pre AHCI.
    AMD Athlon 64  X2, 2GB RAM
    Quality 520W PSU,  fanless ATI graphics  
    10 month old IDE 250GB when first installed, new 1TB SATA added after 3 days when I felt good about everything.

First installation went easily but of course some hardware updating was required but no special procedures.
    Most time was spent getting my USB printer to work which was because of the mismatch between the 32 bit WHS and my Win7 clients all on 64 bit.

For me as a reasoanbly experienced home builder going the WHS route on my well known hardware was a straightforward and pleasant experience.

David

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:11 PM