Questions About OC 2.0 Beta RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using 1.6, but have some questions about the just released 2.0 beta.

If I install, will the icon be red until activation, like the last beta?

If I install, would I have to uninstall the beta when the released version arrives. I thought I read in a previous post that would be the case. That there would be no auto upgrade from the beta itself. Is this right?

During the 1.5 beta period, there seemed to be several problems with the activation from the beta for other users. Has the uninstall/install activate process for 2.0 been improved?

If I install the beta, will there be a reminder to uninstall as the full release version becomes available? I wouldn't want update problems later because I forgot to remove the beta.

If I have problems with the beta, is there a compatible clean-up tool for removal, and could I go back to the OC hompage and re-install 1.6?

Since this appears to be a major version upgrade, will there be a formal release date announced (e.g., by January 30th for 1.5), if we stay on 1.6 or will this be deployed as an unspecified rollout as 1.6 was (not complaining, just noting a difference)? I know the update would be automated, but some type of target would be nice, to know when to "be on the lookout" for the new version download.

Thanks

Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:05 AM

Answers

• This should answer most of your questions - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1848280&SiteID=2

It seems to stay green without activation.

If I install, would I have to uninstall the beta when the released version arrives. I thought I read in a previous post that would be the case. That there would be no auto upgrade from the beta itself. Is this right?

Per Steven's post, yes.

During the 1.5 beta period, there seemed to be several problems with the activation from the beta for other users. Has the uninstall/install activate process for 2.0 been improved?

I don't know. I've not had activation issues or uninstall issues but ymmv.

If I install the beta, will there be a reminder to uninstall as the full release version becomes available? I wouldn't want update problems later because I forgot to remove the beta.

I don't know this either but with any beta it is always best to uninstall the beta before installing the final bits.

If I have problems with the beta, is there a compatible clean-up tool for removal, and could I go back to the OC hompage and re-install 1.6?

There is no cleanup tool that I'm aware of but tomorrow I'll try uninstalling 2.0 and installing 1.6 and post back.

I don't know if a release date will be announced.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:59 AM

All replies

• This should answer most of your questions - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1848280&SiteID=2

It seems to stay green without activation.

Per Steven's post, yes.

I don't know. I've not had activation issues or uninstall issues but ymmv.

I don't know this either but with any beta it is always best to uninstall the beta before installing the final bits.

There is no cleanup tool that I'm aware of but tomorrow I'll try uninstalling 2.0 and installing 1.6 and post back.

I don't know if a release date will be announced.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Thanks Jim, I'll be looking for the post
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:26 AM
  • Is there a list of fixes or improvements?  I know that lots of us are hoping for an improved version that will allow backups to a local, separate hard drive rhater than an external drive.  It also would be good to have the ability to turn off some of the warning screens at the user's risk.  Finally, it would be great to actually have the ability to disable OneCare without uninstalling it.  With all the problems that I have had in the past with other AV software, that still is the first place that I look when for example a program doesn't install.  I can temporarily disable the firewall and AV, but there is no way to disable OneCare entirely.  This may be a good idea for casual users but is the pits for people who want to use the software in a customized fashion.  I am in fact considering changing my security software because of the inability to customize OneCare to do what I want.

The key word here is ABILITY.  I agree with having default settings and also think it is a good idea to make it difficult to change them - but it shouldn't be impossible.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:55 AM
  • Hello SEE. I uninstalled One Care 2.0 beta and installed One Care 1.6.2111.12. Both the uninstall and install went smoothly and no issues were encountered. I did nor use or need the One Care Cleanup tool.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:35 PM
  • Thanks, Jim
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:31 PM
  • I haven't seen a concise list of changes in OneCare, so we're learning together. I haven't had a chance to compile a list of changes noticed (in fact, I've hardly had a chance to work with 2.0 yet!), but if someone has one, we'll pin it as a FAQ to be updated.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:39 PM