Failed Backup Code - Unexpected Error 0X79 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been a very happy user of WHS V1 for a few years. It has saved me a few times! I have used it to backup one of my desktops plus other laptops. I have it backup C,D,E,G, and K - multiple OS and data drives on my desktop computer.

It worked fine until about 10 days ago when I encountered the following failure of the C Drive back up: (now every night I get this error. Can one of you smart people tell me what it means and how I can get back to the place where it backs up all of my drives every night and I can sleep with out fear:-)? Many thanks in advance

Source: HomeServer

TimeGenerated: 5/9/2014 3:19:55 AM

InstanceId: 3489595664

Catagory: Backup

CatagoryNumber: 1

EntryType: Error

Message: Unexpected error 0x79 from ReadFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\DIABLOWIN7.C.VolumeCluster.4096.dat: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

----

Source: HomeServer

TimeGenerated: 5/9/2014 3:19:55 AM

InstanceId: 3489595659

Catagory: Backup

CatagoryNumber: 1

EntryType: Error

Message: Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(455)

----

Further update... limited the backup to just the C Drive after doing a full error check by sector using WIN 7. Still getting the same error.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

first try on the client to open a cmd prompt as Administrator and run following command:

chkdsk C: /r (or is this, what you meant with full sector check?)

This will usually require a reboot and take a while, depending on the size of your volume C:, so you should run it, when you are not in serious need of your PC.

If this does not solve the issue:

What happens, if you exclude C: from backup - assuming, you have still other volumes in your machine?

Will backup succeed in this case? Do you have other clients, which backup successfully?

Are there specially large files on the disk which you downloaded during the last 10 days?

There can also be a lot of other potential reasons, as this old thread outlines.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 16, 2014 7:35 AM