Missing Computers and Backup Tab RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Everyone,

Ok I have installed windows home Server 120 day evaluation, on a old dektop pc, (about 5yr old or so), I can log into the console fine from within my network using the console icon, but I was looking at how to change the backup settings and everyone says go to the computers and backup tab, this is where I am stuck, I do not have a computers and backup tab anywhere in my console including the settings. The computers seem to backup fne, but I cannot find the backups anywhere or change the settings.
           Can anone advise ? Also could this be related to this problem I posted here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ac711ab3-6747-46bb-8cf1-898cce0265cd/

These are someone elses screenshots but this is what it should look like http://planken.org/images/various/20081021-whsc-1.jpg

This is something what mine looks like http://planken.org/images/various/20081021-whsc-2.jpg

Please note my WHS is not a HP MEDIASMART Server, it is a DIY WHS.

Thank you in advance

Gareth

The only supported method is Server Reinstallation (and definitely something I would recommend since you are already having other issues with your installation as well).
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Thanks Kariya,

I was just about to post an update, I thought it may have been the Console program on my notebook not the server so I ran the whs toolkit on my local laptop, and it states the connector is different than the one on my server, so I downloaded it from http:server:55000 and tried to install it again on my notebook, only to get home server discovery has stopped working, after it configures the backup.

Looks like I am going to have to reinstall the server software, will a repair install be ok or do i have to format everything? Hoping not the latter because there is about 200GB of files on there which I really do not want to lose.

Thanks again for your time.

Server Reinstallation will only wipe the OS partition (leaving everything else in tact).  Just make sure you select Server Reinstallation because the other option (New Installation) wipes everything.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Ok managed to sort that problem out after a reboot, I had a faulty USB port which would not allow one of my HDD to connect, but now when I log into the console the computers and backup tab is still missing in the top bar of the console, but I do have a backup tab in the settings now, anymore advise please.

The only advice I can offer at this point would be to disconnect all of your current hard drives, connect a new drive to your server, and try a New Installation on that and see what happens.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Right this is now driving me nuts, Just done another server reinstall, and yet still no computers and backup tab hmmmm, Kariya, I am now willing to try your answer of a new installation but I do not have another HDD spare, is there anyway of "Backing up" the shared folders that has about 84GB of files on it now (slimmed it down a lot). Before I do a new installation ? Thank you very much for your time.

You can connect your secondary drives to another computer and copy the data from them.  You'll find the data in a hidden folder called DE.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Everyone,

Ok I have installed windows home Server 120 day evaluation, on a old dektop pc, (about 5yr old or so), I can log into the console fine from within my network using the console icon, but I was looking at how to change the backup settings and everyone says go to the computers and backup tab, this is where I am stuck, I do not have a computers and backup tab anywhere in my console including the settings. The computers seem to backup fne, but I cannot find the backups anywhere or change the settings.
           Can anone advise ? Also could this be related to this problem I posted here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ac711ab3-6747-46bb-8cf1-898cce0265cd/

These are someone elses screenshots but this is what it should look like http://planken.org/images/various/20081021-whsc-1.jpg

This is something what mine looks like http://planken.org/images/various/20081021-whsc-2.jpg

Please note my WHS is not a HP MEDIASMART Server, it is a DIY WHS.

Thank you in advance

Gareth

The only supported method is Server Reinstallation (and definitely something I would recommend since you are already having other issues with your installation as well).
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Thanks Kariya,

I was just about to post an update, I thought it may have been the Console program on my notebook not the server so I ran the whs toolkit on my local laptop, and it states the connector is different than the one on my server, so I downloaded it from http:server:55000 and tried to install it again on my notebook, only to get home server discovery has stopped working, after it configures the backup.

Looks like I am going to have to reinstall the server software, will a repair install be ok or do i have to format everything? Hoping not the latter because there is about 200GB of files on there which I really do not want to lose.

Friday, July 3, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Thanks Kariya,

Server Reinstallation will only wipe the OS partition (leaving everything else in tact).  Just make sure you select Server Reinstallation because the other option (New Installation) wipes everything.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Hi again,

I have now just done a server reinstallation, also I have uninstalled all the connector software of my "local" pc's, Got to the stage to reinstall the connector software, it gets to the configuring computer backup stage and then I get a red cross stating that backup service is not running, I have tried rebooting, still not working, even logged in as admin on server, and tried to start the windows home server backup service only for it to stop milli seconds later, can anyone help with this as I am now considering abandoning the idea of the WHS.

Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Hi again,

I have now just done a server reinstallation, also I have uninstalled all the connector software of my "local" pc's, Got to the stage to reinstall the connector software, it gets to the configuring computer backup stage and then I get a red cross stating that backup service is not running, I have tried rebooting, still not working, even logged in as admin on server, and tried to start the windows home server backup service only for it to stop milli seconds later, can anyone help with this as I am now considering abandoning the idea of the WHS.

Thanks in advance.

Ok managed to sort that problem out after a reboot, I had a faulty USB port which would not allow one of my HDD to connect, but now when I log into the console the computers and backup tab is still missing in the top bar of the console, but I do have a backup tab in the settings now, anymore advise please.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Ok managed to sort that problem out after a reboot, I had a faulty USB port which would not allow one of my HDD to connect, but now when I log into the console the computers and backup tab is still missing in the top bar of the console, but I do have a backup tab in the settings now, anymore advise please.

The only advice I can offer at this point would be to disconnect all of your current hard drives, connect a new drive to your server, and try a New Installation on that and see what happens.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Right this is now driving me nuts, Just done another server reinstall, and yet still no computers and backup tab hmmmm, Kariya, I am now willing to try your answer of a new installation but I do not have another HDD spare, is there anyway of "Backing up" the shared folders that has about 84GB of files on it now (slimmed it down a lot). Before I do a new installation ? Thank you very much for your time.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 11:53 PM

You can connect your secondary drives to another computer and copy the data from them.  You'll find the data in a hidden folder called DE.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Hi Kariya,

Ok I have a update for you, after doing a full new install everything seems to work brilliant now, even the computers tab on the remote access page, until I tried to set the whs to recognise my vista home premium laptops to remote desktop, I followed the guide here and did everything it said http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Enable_Remote_Desktop_Connection_For_Vista_Home_Premium and guess what all my computers disapeared from the computers and backups tab and the computers tab on remote desktop kept giving me the error that I mentioned in the other post, what a muppet I am, so after deleting TermServ.cmd and deleting the registry value that it added REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients\{Local Machine}" /v "TerminalServicesSupport" /D "Yes" /f everything worked fine.
          I know you probably will not support the link in this post, but can you understand why it will not work, because I can remote dektop all the local pcs and the server from my vista home premium macine, its just getting the server to recognise that I can.

Thank you very much for all your help. EVEN THOUGH I AM A MUPPET.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:39 PM
  • You're no Muppet.

I've not had the Computers & Backup tab for months now, I've tried everything - reinstalls, the lot. I think this is a common fault that many people just don't realize it. There's just no getting it back, so I'm hoping that when the new HP image is released for the 47x's it will cure the problem, until then I'm just gonna live without it.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:08 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, and I've posted it on the Microsoft Connect website last month with no reply yet.  I have reinstalled once, and upgraded to PP3.  Maybe an update sometime in the future will miraculously fix it.  What's funny is, manual backups work, and I can use the restore CD to restore a computer.  I have no other physical evidence that backups exist, however....

If someone runs across a reliable fix to the missing tab, and missing backup settings, let me know.

Thanks,

Alan
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Garethm1976, thank you so much.

I finally went back and checked my registry keys, and lo and behold, there was the key in question.   I had assumed that reinstalling WHS would wipe it, and I had forgotten all about it. 

I don't remember if I lost my Computers and Backups tab at the time I installed the Remote Desktop hack, however.  I think it may have had something to do with my reinstall - it wipes the C: drive, and thus the TermSrv.cmd file we made as part of the hack.  Since the key and the file work together, having one missing may cause the error.  At this point however, I'm not going to try again.  If you try to redo the hack, and keep your computers and backups tab, please post for the rest of us. 

I've updated my Microsoft Connect bug report and pointed to this post.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:15 PM