none
Notification Logging

Question

• Is there a way to log both toast notifications and system tray notifications. I would like to be able to gather the following information what type of notice what program or service and what action was taken if any. My goal is to write an app that loads at startup and displays this information. The primary function is to find ghost notification that are locking part of the UI as well as to have a record of whats happen that you my not of seen before it faded. I would prefer a .net API if possible.
    Monday, August 31, 2015 9:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Pizonuc,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

As your issue is not related to Visual Studio IDE, to redirect you to the correct forum, I have two questions below:

(1) What is your project type, windows form, asp.net or others?

(2) Which language do you want to use, C#, vb, C++ or others?

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:16 AM
  • The project type is not relevant as it could have any display paradigm win forms, console, WPF, ASP.net or no visible interface at all, i.e. it just create a text file. The language would be VB preferable or C# if necessary. 
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:29 PM
  • Hi Pizonuc,

There's a framework call log4net you could try using it. You could put a Log recird after your notification code that will write the logs in a text file. Good tutorial I found so far. These helped in my project. Hope these will help you.

1. A Brief Introduction to the log4net logging library, using C#

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/8245/A-Brief-Introduction-to-the-log-net-logging-librar

2. log4net Tutorial

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/140911/log-net-Tutorial

Thanks,

Sabah Shariq

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 8:01 PM
  • The logging part is not the problem. Its getting the information in the first place, from what I have read in the MSDN library so far the primary way of interacting with the system tray is through com or win32 api calls.That is a little out of my depth, I was trying to see if anyone knew of any means of gathering this information through any means. what I am looking for would be similar to the file system watcher class only for the system tray and toast notifications.
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Might try over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?category=windowsdesktopdev

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, September 11, 2015 12:54 AM