Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    One of my 1TB drives is about to fail acording to S.M.A.R.T
    Now I will get the drive swopped out as soon as possible. I also enabled folder duplication accross all folders, so data should be safe.
    My question now is the following.
    I want to reinstall the OS.
    I want to by 2 by 160GB SATA2 drives and raid them in the bios, then use that volume as the primary drive for WHS. 20gb was any ways not doing it for me fot the primary drive.
    But as far as I can recall, It does not support manual configuration of the disks/volumes during the setup. So how would I go about it, to run my home server in this configuration?
    The 2 x 1TB drives should then become part of the "poor man's raid" pool used by windows home server.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 5:23 AM

All replies

• RAID isn't supported by WHS but I did write a tutorial for resizing the system drive to have more space on the C Drive. That's not supported either... ;)

Here:

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 5:55 AM
  • There are a few posts in the Hardware Forum, with users running a RAID 1 setup, however, as mentioned it isn't a supported scenario and personally, I've found that doing a server re-install is straightforward and relatively quick.
    You cannot use your intial drive(s) as just a C: drive, with other drives being the data drives; WHS will always partion the first drive it sees into C: and D: which means that your 160GB drive will end up having a relatively small D: partion. Also, as has been mentioned previously, it is possible that changing the partition size might create problems with upgrades/updates somewhere down the line.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Will try some of the other thread's options. I log onto the server, do web development and browse the net on my WHS.
    Having some more relaible space will be great.
    Will play with both combinations, and see if I can resize a raid volume when interupting the install

THanks for the reply.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:32 PM