none
To a moderator in the C# forum

All replies

• Although this request to remove the best posters for *2007* seems very justified, it would have a more positive feel to it if you'd started it with the word "Please" and finished it with some explanation such as "as it is well past its sell-by time" (or similar phrase).

As it is written now you are *demanding* that it be moved. That one small word "please" would make a lot of difference to the way the message comes across.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

Although this request to remove the best posters for *2007* seems very justified, it would have a more positive feel to it if you'd started it with the word "Please" and finished it with some explanation such as "as it is well past its sell-by time" (or similar phrase).

As it is written now you are *demanding* that it be moved. That one small word "please" would make a lot of difference to the way the message comes across.

1. When I was a mid-school student, one of my teachers told us that it is unrespectfull to tell someone that he is rude. So I feel that , if you'd be right, you'd be unrespectfull.
    2. I know that in the American culture it is a good habit to tell "please" very often. You have to understand that this forum is used not only by US citizens, though. I, for example, feel that I should say "please" only when I ask for help, not when I help others. I see no reason to try and help someone and also beg him hear my advice. It is not in the way I see things. 
    3. If a moderator from that forum will come across my post, he/she will know why that thread should not be sticky. If he/she don't realize why, then he/she shouldn't be a moderator. I don't feel like losing my time with explanations I shouldn't give.

Thank you for reading my post. Have a nice day!
    Lucian Baciu, MCTS, http://studentclub.ro/lucians_weblog
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Lucian,

You're aware of the Moderators forum - you've posted there before.  Why didn't you post this there?  And not to fan the flames, but "please" is an appropriate convention for the entire English language - not just for US citizens.  "Please" and "thank you" aren't reserved for "self serving" requests - basically, any time you ask somebody to do something, "please" is a good idea.  I am Canadian, and I deal with English-speaking people from a number of countries - they all use "please" and "thank you" for any and all requests.

Mike's response to your post was actually quite diplomatic, and it seems to me that he was honestly trying to help bridge a language barrier.  It was not an insult, though your response could certainly be interpreted as such.
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogspot.com
    Monday, December 29, 2008 5:46 AM
  • There is no active community moderator left in that forum, not since it moved.  Michael Taylor still shows up once in a while but he doesn't moderate.  You can reach Charlie Calvert through this email form.
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:32 AM
  • Aaron Alton said:

Lucian,

You're aware of the Moderators forum - you've posted there before.  Why didn't you post this there?  And not to fan the flames, but "please" is an appropriate convention for the entire English language - not just for US citizens.  "Please" and "thank you" aren't reserved for "self serving" requests - basically, any time you ask somebody to do something, "please" is a good idea.  I am Canadian, and I deal with English-speaking people from a number of countries - they all use "please" and "thank you" for any and all requests.

Mike's response to your post was actually quite diplomatic, and it seems to me that he was honestly trying to help bridge a language barrier.  It was not an insult, though your response could certainly be interpreted as such.

I'm aware of the moderators forum, but I think that a forum called Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums is a more appropriate place to make suggestions for a forum.

I an not an american nor any other english speaking country citizen. I'll only use please if I ask someone to help me. This is how I feel and think (although I understand your and Mike's point) and if anyone has a problem with that, that's it. I had no intention to insult Mike or any one of you. I also thanked him for taking the time to reply, so let's not make a big deal (flame) out of this.

Hans, thank you for the on-topic answer.

Regards,
    Monday, December 29, 2008 11:34 AM
  • naicul said:

I'm aware of the moderators forum, but I think that a forum called Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums is a more appropriate place to make suggestions for a forum.

I'm not sure that I agree.  The description on this forum is "Give us your feedback and suggestions for new or improved functionality in these forums".  This doesn't relate to new or improved functionality.  I simply referred you to the Moderator's forums because that is the most appropriate venue for contacting other moderators. 

To be clear, my post wan't intended to be a flame either, and I'm sorry if you saw it as such.  I was simply trying to assist in what seemed to be a breakdown in communication.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

I think you're right: I did post to the wrong section. I didn't read the whole description for the forum. But I see that the little problem I was talking about in the first post is solved. Thanks to the one who solved it.

Regards,

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:42 AM