System re-install guidance RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

might be a silly issue, but I wouldn't want to go the wrong alley here and I can't find the answer on the forum.
    What steps should I take before re-installing Windows?

1. Should I uninstall Live Mesh client and remove the machine from the mesh prior to that?

2. If the above is not the case, or in case I forget to do it: Let's assume the machine's called System01 in live mesh, when it's re-installed should I call it the same? In which case the folders are going to be empty and I'm afraid this action will erase all the files from other computers and live desktop on sync. Or will it go the other way and fill empty folders with files from other machines (as desired)?

3. Or should I name the machine System02 and then just set it to sync? And remove the old System01 from the mesh afterwards?

And while we're at it. How is a machine recognized? Some random live mesh-generated code? IP address? MAC address? Windows serial number? All of those combined?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Rad

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:20 AM

All replies

• There is no difference, you can reinstall the OS, install Mesh and add a device as you normally would. The name isn't a problem: it can de duplicated without any problems and then you can remove the 'dead' device.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:53 AM
  • Hey Rad,

The machine is identified by a specific certificate - so even if the machine moves around (i.e. IP changes, such as with a laptop) or the MAC address changes (connecting via wireless as opposed to wired, again on a laptop) the machine will still be identified as the correct device.

As Felix mentioned, you shouldn't have a problem reinstalling - just add the machine to your mesh like you would normally (visit mesh.com -> Add Device) and remove the old device record at your own convenience through the mesh.com website.

Let us know how things go!

Oren
    Monday, January 19, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Thanks, guys, will try reinstalling tonight and post an update on how it went.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:36 PM