STORAGE ALERT: Backup Storage vs Server Storage RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 HD installed. Both are 300Gb. The System Drive shows 6Gb Free Space- but Total space shows 195Gb. I assume that the other 100Gb is used for system files.

The second HD, called Server Backup displays "no details available for this item"- what exactly does this mean?

Seems to me that I should have at least 500Gb (600Gb minus 100Gb for system files) of backup storage?

• Edited by Rosemont60 Friday, April 30, 2010 5:12 PM typos
    Friday, April 30, 2010 4:54 PM

Answers

• In the server backup configuration wizard instead of selecting, select "Disable Server Backups" instead of "Change Server Backup settings" this should move your disk into the hard drives category after which you can add it to storage. This is a known issue which we are working to address in the next milestone,

thanks,

This post is provided AS IS and confers no rights. Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:45 PM

All replies

• First, are you talking about Vail or Windows Home Server V1?

Assuming Vail:

How large did you make the system partition? Where does it show 6GB free space? Also, a server backup drive isn't available for other storage. If you want it to be part of your storage pool, you should permanently remove it as a backup drive and add it to server storage instead.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Thanks Ken-

First, yes it is VAIL.

Second, I did not understand the difference between "server backup" and the general backups of networked computers. I am trying to use Dashboard to remove this drive- but the removal process wants me to backup up this drive to an external drive first. I really don't care about saving the server backups- but I will need to together a USB ext drive to clear this HD so I can make it available for general storage

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:16 PM
  • In the server backup configuration wizard instead of selecting, select "Disable Server Backups" instead of "Change Server Backup settings" this should move your disk into the hard drives category after which you can add it to storage. This is a known issue which we are working to address in the next milestone,

thanks,

This post is provided AS IS and confers no rights. Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Thanks for your reply-

Under Server folders and hard drives, I do not have that option.

ALso under Computers and Backup, customize backup for this computer, Change settings, I uchecked System backup.

On both cases, nothing seems to change regarding Disk space:drive 1  drive 2

I am sure that I am missing something very simple!

Saturday, May 1, 2010 1:25 AM
  • Do you have an option to Disable Server Backups when you click on customize backups for this computer?

thanks,

Monday, May 3, 2010 8:26 PM