searching WHS shared folders brings up bogus folders RRS feed

• Question

• HI all

Just installed a new WHS on a new computer.  I have loaded about 1Tb onto the shared folders - now if a do a search in explorer within the shared folders for a file - it lists to the searched files in bogus directories  eg. for a addin file instead of \software\add-ins\ it would show \\server\music\Jim\re\programs\ etc  ?

After installation - I changed the server name and IP address to the my old WHS - after copying the data accross.

Any ideas how to correct this?

I have tried to search this problem  - we have had storms in the area latley and are having problems with the internet so browsing web pages at the moment is very frustrating - so apoligies if I have missed other threads that are related to this one.

cheers
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:16 PM

Answers

• After two attempts in re installing WHS (one keeping my data and the other a complete reformat and install) I finally used my other old version of WHS (pre PP1) and updated over the internet! Everything is now sweet.  A bit worrying though!
    • Marked as answer by vilcadude Friday, December 12, 2008 2:48 AM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:48 AM

All replies

• Is there a way to "flush" or rebuild the search index?

I have tried to search on two computers - one 64bit Vista Ultimate and one 32 bit Vista Ultimate - both come up with weird directories

Any ideas would be appreciated.   
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:25 AM
  • To rebuild index you need to Remote Desktop to the WHS box.

1. Open up the "Windows Desktop Search Option" dialog on the server (right click on the magnifying glass icon on the tray).
    2. Go to "Advanced" and click "Rebuild"

Windows Home Server Team
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:04 AM
  • Thanks - I am rebuilding now - will let you know when its complete

Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:40 AM
  • No - That didn't work
    Any other suggestions?
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:15 AM
  • Try doing the same on your clients?
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2103/vista_rebuilding_the_search_index/

-Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Friday, December 5, 2008 12:53 PM
  • I had already tried that as well.
    regards
    • Marked as answer by vilcadude Friday, December 12, 2008 2:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by vilcadude Friday, December 12, 2008 2:48 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2008 10:36 PM
  • After two attempts in re installing WHS (one keeping my data and the other a complete reformat and install) I finally used my other old version of WHS (pre PP1) and updated over the internet! Everything is now sweet.  A bit worrying though!
    • Marked as answer by vilcadude Friday, December 12, 2008 2:48 AM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:48 AM