locked
Backup stuck RRS feed

  • Question

  • So, I have a WHS2011 server and it was humming along fine for a few months, when I noticed yesterday that the date was off (one day forward).  So, I corrected the date, setting it back one day, however, a client was in the middle of backing up... and now it is stuck saying "backup in progress" for that client on the console and I cannot stop the backup.  I have rebooted the client, the server, and even tried to remove the client, nothing works.  Any ideas would be appreciated...
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:18 PM

Answers

  • Ok, so I feel stupid, the obvious just hit me.  I put the time back to the incorrect time and it is working fine now...
    • Marked as answer by G.Wright Monday, July 25, 2011 9:30 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:29 PM

All replies

  • Ok, so I feel stupid, the obvious just hit me.  I put the time back to the incorrect time and it is working fine now...
    • Marked as answer by G.Wright Monday, July 25, 2011 9:30 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:29 PM
  • It's always the easy ones that get you!
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Yes...  Though this probably counts as a bug, the server should not allow you to do this, considering the audience it is aimed at.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Agreed. It does sound strange. Can you raise a bug on Connect?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Did anyone rasie this bug on connect, I had the same problem.  Well it seems like two bug really.

    1) the date gets move forward by one day

    2) the back gets stuck if the date is corrected


    John J. Hughes II
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:12 PM
  • The date getting moved forward by one day is probably user error, I'm afraid. But as for the other issue, go ahead and bug it. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Pretty positive it was not user error, I had just installed the server and was dealing with the files on a daily basis.  Also there are no files for he missing day.

    As a side note I found that none of my computer could update the time using the default time.windows.com and I had to switch them to time-nw.nist.gov.  This also caused problems where I work on two relicated SQL servers.  They did not have the day off problem but the times were far enough off that the replaction was throwing errors.

    Some of this is in hindsight and since I was trying to get the replaction backup I did not pay a lot of attention to how far off they were or why but I did have to change the internet time setting for the domain controller.

    <added>

    In regards to the backup I ended up formating the USB backup drive to fix it.  It just kept getting stuck in differnet places and after a couple attempts I gave up.  After the format it is working fine again, well at least for a few days now.

     


    John J. Hughes II
    Monday, August 22, 2011 10:21 PM