Remote Access: Connect to Remote Console times out RRS feed

• Question

•  

Although I can do a Remote Connect to WHS, if I try and connect to the console, I get a timeout message.

Interestingly, if I RDP into WHS and goto Settings on the console and select Remote Access and manually select Router setup, I can Remote Connect to WHS ONLY if my router shows a green tick and status: manually configured. MS UPnP does not like my Vigor 2800 router, and refuses to auomagically configure it.

I think this problem of router UPnP is going have to be resolved by MS as Vigorr are not doing anything about it, as they say their UPnP is correct.

So, NO Remote Access to console UNLESS my router shows green tick in WHS settings dialogue.

At least I believe this to be the case.

Anyone had similar experiences?

regards,

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:15 AM

All replies

•  Titus Britannicus wrote:
    Although I can do a Remote Connect to WHS, if I try and connect to the console, I get a timeout message.

Interestingly, if I RDP into WHS and goto Settings on the console and select Remote Access and manually select Router setup, I can Remote Connect to WHS ONLY if my router shows a green tick and status: manually configured. MS UPnP does not like my Vigor 2800 router, and refuses to auomagically configure it.

I think this problem of router UPnP is going have to be resolved by MS as Vigorr are not doing anything about it, as they say their UPnP is correct.

So, NO Remote Access to console UNLESS my router shows green tick in WHS settings dialogue.

At least I believe this to be the case.

Anyone had similar experiences?

regards,

Have you installed Power Pack 1 beta?

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:58 AM
  • Titus, you said:
     Titus Britannicus wrote:
    I don't think that's going to happen. Windows Home Server needs specific functionality in the UPnP support the router offers. If that specific functionality isn't available, WHS can't configure the router automatically. It's possible that Vigor meets some level of compliance with UPnP standards but still doesn't have the specific functionality that Windows Home Server needs.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:42 AM
  •  

Yes, running PP1 very well thank you.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:02 AM
  • Perhaps once the router is seen as configured by WHS, WHS should realise that, and stop trying to automatically configure the router when you go to the Remote Access settings dialogue? Otherwise without the router config "sticking" within WHS and always showing a tick, it looks like my Console Remote Access isn't going to happen. Again, that is what it is looking like and needs more testing.

Do others experience this problem?

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:11 AM