Automatic email to new Owner of a Lead? RRS feed

• Question

• This one has been stumping me for days. All I'm trying to do is have the system generate an email to a new Owner of a Lead when the "Owner" field has changed to that person.  (New lead is assigned to a point person)

I'm adding a step "Send Email" -> Generate Email to run when the status (specifically the Owner) of a Lead has been changed. In the properties, I have the sent from (one of our primary users), in the TO I have {User(Owner (User))}. In the subject, I have "{Lead(Regarding (Lead))} has been assigned to you."

However, when I change the owner of a lead, nothing happens. I have no idea what I'm missing here. I've tried a few different steps, etc. but nothing works. Help!
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That  is natural as long as they don't have the outlook client; but you could test by setting one user to use the e-mail router, and see if the e-mail comes trough using that one; if not; it's an indication of that something is wrong with your e-mail router config / install.

Morten
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have organization as scope? This sounds like a typical behaviour when user is selected, should be organization.

Instead of trigger on the Owner field, you can check "Record is assigned"; should do the same ... but a bit easier ...

Check the "Work Flows" folder, and see that it appears there; if it does then you know that it fires; if the e-mail is not sent; then it must e something wrong with the action.

Morten
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:17 PM
  • have you put something in to see if it is getting to the point of creating/sending the email?   what exactly are you doing to generate the email -- workflow/plugin?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Yes, this is all a workflow. Morten, I originally had it set as USER, but changed it to organization.

The interesting thing is that I check both "Record is assigned" and "Record Attribute Change"-> Owner (checked) and when I publish, that disappears and only Record is Assigned is checked. 

I've made sure to publish everything and have re-assigned records to thers and back. It's not even showing up in System Jobs, even though the change of assigments are.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:34 PM
  • ... not easy ....

But just to make sure; is your async service running; could you check that?

Morten

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Yes, it's running. I just restarted the service to see if that does anything.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Wait. Could my original Entity be wrong? Rigth now, it's set as email. Should that be something different? Like Owner?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Wait. Could my original Entity be wrong? Rigth now, it's set as email. Should that be something different? Like Owner?

OK, so I re-created it using Lead as the Primary Entity and they now show up in System Jobs as successful. But no one is receiving the notice....

Actually, now that I examine the message itself, it's saying it "has not yet been submitted for delivery. See help...."
    • Edited by DevRock Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:05 PM
  • It should be Lead.

Check that first; and see that it triggers...

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:07 PM
  • See message above yours. It triggered, but messages aren't ebing submitted for delivery now. Progress, but....
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:52 PM
  • That is progress, ... more things to check.....

Do you fill out both to and from field with valid data? (I have done a similar test; and it works fine ... so what you are trying .... will work..!)
    Is CRM Email-Router service is running?
    Is SMTP service running on your server that the router is on?  SMTP is required to send Outgoing emails from workflow.

Morten
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Well, that's a good question. I am able to send email directly out of CRM. That wasn't working until yesterday. I installed the email router and spent the past week trying to get it to work. Once I created a new external connector on our Exchange server, all of a sudden all the emails went through. Yet, the Router still isn't completely working. It's very strange. I can't Load Data in it to get it 100%. Very confusing and maybe that's why I can't get teh automatic emails to work. Yet, how would the other emails work?

EDIT: I actually just got the email router working, but my name is the only one appearing when I load data. I'll have to do more investigating here. Not sure if I have to maually add all user's names here or what....
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

I think this is your real case; the e-mail router not working properly.

The other e-mails (outlook client) will work witout the e-mail router; dependent on your "E-mail Access Configuration" on the user record; but I assume that one is set to "Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook". You could check that. And if you set a user to use the e-mail router; you will probably see that the e-mails don't go through. (and even if it goes through; it's not a guarantee that the router is working as expected).

If you are uncertain about the e-mail router; I would first check that it's running as expected; since it's  requirement for the workflow to be able to send e-mails. Then hopefully your work flow should work after that. It seems right now; and as long as the async service is running; you can seethe system job created ... my best guess is the e-mail router.

Morten

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Rigth now, everyone is set for MSCRM for Outlook. However, no one but me has it installed on their Outlook yet (took us several days to figure out why). So if they don't have that installed, the email won't go through? The automated emails I'm trying to have sent are from another user. He doesn't have it installed yet.

No one is set to go through the router yet.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:56 PM
  • So, I changed the FROM to me instead of the original person and they are going through. So, it must be that I have to install the CRM for Outlook on everyone's machine. If I do that, do I even need the router??

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

That  is natural as long as they don't have the outlook client; but you could test by setting one user to use the e-mail router, and see if the e-mail comes trough using that one; if not; it's an indication of that something is wrong with your e-mail router config / install.

Morten
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Yeah, there's definitely something wrong with the install. I got it working, but my profile is the only one that comes up. Frankly, I'm still trying to get my head around what the email router does and how it works.

However, just to clarify, do I even need to set up the email router if all users are going to have CRM for Outlook installed? Do they have to have Outlook open for automatic emails to be sent out?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

Just to share !
    Even we had a requirement like above where on change of owner for a lead record we were sharing that record with the new user and sending a mail for the same to the new owner . We had used a plugin for it which we had registered against PostAssign event.

Regards,
    Nishant Rana

http://nishantrana.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:55 PM