Questions regarding securtiy and encryption RRS feed

• Question

• I have my home server set up and all is well.  I am now in the process of turning my home life paperless and scanning in all my personal documents.  My plan was this:  I put aes encryption software on a portable hard drive on a conector computer.  I was going to then scan all my documents to that portable hard drive.  I was hoping WMS would back up that hard drive.  I go to configure back up on the computer that the hard drive is connected to and it doesnt find the portable hard drive.  Not sure if it is becuse the encrytion program?  I have it mounted with a drive letter. 

so my questions are this.....

What would be the most secure way to ensure the saftey of my scanned documents and to back them up?  I could manully back them up to DVD but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a server.  The reason I liked the idea of a portable hard drive is that I can disconnect it and rest assured the rest of the world can not access it. 

Also, if for some reason my server was hacked and someone was able to acess the back up of the portable hard drive, would it be encryted on the server or not?

Cliff Notes:  What is the best way to secure personal documents and back them up....

Thanks 

Doug 

Friday, February 6, 2009 5:03 PM

Answers

• The software you use probably creates a "container", and then encrypts/formats that container. If it's not formatted as NTFS, then there is no way that WHS will back it up. However, I would expect that WHS could back up the encrypted container file itself, unless the software you're using is somehow blocking WHS access to the physical drive, or the drive itself is not formatted with the NTFS file system.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 6, 2009 6:19 PM

All replies

• The software you use probably creates a "container", and then encrypts/formats that container. If it's not formatted as NTFS, then there is no way that WHS will back it up. However, I would expect that WHS could back up the encrypted container file itself, unless the software you're using is somehow blocking WHS access to the physical drive, or the drive itself is not formatted with the NTFS file system.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 6, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Yeh it is NTFS... I think I need to do more home work .... Thanks

Doug
    Friday, February 6, 2009 11:44 PM