Backup does not work RRS feed

• Question

• This is for a new installation. On one of the laptops, the Backup does not work Once I start a Manual Backup, it starts and then indiactes the following error message "The backup failed because your computer restarted while backup was running". Naturally, the computer has not been restarted, hence the issue. Any suggestions on how this can be corrected? I have uninstalled Connector and re-installed. That did not solve the issue.

BTW, the other laptops do not have the same problem. Running WinXP Pro SP3 on all machines.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:37 AM

Answers

• Has the backup ever worked?

I'm pretty sure it's a local problem on that one PC, not a problem with your server (other PCs in your home would display the same issue) or with Windows Home Server in general (there would be many reports of similar problems, instead of a scattered few).

Can you try repairing your .Net Framework installation using Add or Remove Programs? The version you will want to attempt to repair is version 2.0...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:37 PM

All replies

• This message also indicates a power outage, i.e. running on battery. Maybe your power supply/battery is faulty.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:21 AM
  • I have tried a new power adapter and removed the battery (just in case) and till get the same error meesage.

A little more information: I tried to set up Quicken to backup up its files to the WHS through Quicken's automatic backup feature. It says the path is invalid. This is odd since on a previous WHS install (on a now defunct WHS machine), this exact computer had no problem communicating with WHS.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:19 PM
  • What path have you used? Is the server/share name same as before?

Do a chkdsk /f on all your partitions and try to backup to WHS again.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:59 PM
  • the path is :

\\SERVERNAME\Quicken

The folder exists in WHS but, just in case, I tried to send it to

\\SERVERNAME\public

and that didn't work either

BTW SERVERNAME is my specific server name

I ran chkdsk /f on the laptop as well as WHS. That hasn't solved the problem Same error message.

The Backup failed

The backup failed because your computer restarted while backup was running

Really weird.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Well, this is becoming worrisome. I can'r seem to get this working. All my other laptops are backing up but the one mentioned keeps haveing that same issue.

Any suggestions?

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Has the backup ever worked?

I'm pretty sure it's a local problem on that one PC, not a problem with your server (other PCs in your home would display the same issue) or with Windows Home Server in general (there would be many reports of similar problems, instead of a scattered few).

Can you try repairing your .Net Framework installation using Add or Remove Programs? The version you will want to attempt to repair is version 2.0...

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:37 PM
  • No, it never worked on that specific laptop. it works on the other laptop and a pc.

I agree this is likely a local problem. I will try repairing .Net and let you know if that helps.

Thanks
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Ken, I see .Net 1.1, 2.0SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 listed. !st of all, could that be part of the problem and, if not, which should I repair?
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Well, great news. It worked ! I repaired .Net 2.0 and have run the backup successfully. BTW, the other .Net are there due to some of my employers requirements. I only repaired the 2.0.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Friday, July 24, 2009 12:43 AM
    I only repaired the 2.0.
    That's fine. The core components of .Net are still 2.0 SP2, even though the framework is up to 3.5 SP1.

Friday, July 24, 2009 2:48 AM