CRM 4.0 Active directory required? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to know if Active Directory is a requirement for installing CRM 4.0 and if yes, must the users be joined to the domain or they can access CRM by just putting their usernames and passwords when required? So if Active Directory is a requirement can it be installed but without joining the users to the domain?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 8:59 AM

Answers

• For both on-premise or SPLA deployments you have to use AD accounts, IFD changes nothing on this requirement, it only makes it possible to log-on using forms authentification. The only way to not use AD is the CRM Live deployment provided by Microsoft where the Live-IDs are instead of AD accounts.

Regards, Robert
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:41 PM

All replies

• Yes, AD is required by CRM, and an user must be first in AD before you can add it to CRM.

Jim

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:02 AM
  • 1- So it's impossible to implement CRM in a workgroup environment?

2- If Active Directory is installed, can users open CRM 4.0 without being joined to the domain? 

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 12:09 PM
  •  1sabine8 wrote:

1- So it's impossible to implement CRM in a workgroup environment?

2- If Active Directory is installed, can users open CRM 4.0 without being joined to the domain? 

1 - you will always need an active directory controller that the CRM server will sit under.
    2 - yes, but it requires some degree of technical knowledge - negotiating past a challenge/response screen.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Can i know the way to open CRM 4.0 without being joined to the domain?

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:44 AM
  • You need to access crm LIVE, MS CRM 4.0 Live  or IFD implemenation

For More see MS CRM Support section

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/12976

Regards,
    Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:05 AM
  •  

The only other way to get CRM without having AD installed is to use a hosting provider.  We have an excellent partnership with a hosting provider.  If you decide to go this route, we can help.  If you are installing CRM for use on your network, you must have Active Directory installed with at least one user in it that will become the first CRM user.

Let me know which route you decide to go and I will assist further as much as possible.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:38 AM
  •  

This really isn't too difficult unless you need the functionality of the Outlook client. If users will only be accessing CRM via the web interface, then their machines don't need to be joined to the domain or anything like that, in theory. As long as they can connect to the CRM server, IIS will take care of authenticating the user to Active Directory.

I've accessed tons of CRM environments on different domains, both 3.0 and 4.0, from my machine.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:14 AM
  • Dear Will,

If not joined to the domain, the installation needs to be an IFD one? Or it can be a usual one? If so? How will they connect?

Thanks in advance

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:41 AM
  • It depends upon whether you are using the Outlook client or not. As I said earlier, if you are not going to use the Outlook client, but just access CRM through the web interface, then IIS will take care of the authentication to AD. All you really need to do is make sure that you can connect to the server (By "connect", I mean being able to establish a network connection)

If you ARE going to use the Outlook client, then yes, you should do an IFD deployment.

Friday, August 8, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Will you be wanting to use the CRM functionality in Outlook using the Outlook Client or just accessing the web client.  If you want to use outlook with your crm system and not have active directory, you would be better off going down the hosted route.  We can help you with this..

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Will Wilson said:

It depends upon whether you are using the Outlook client or not. As I said earlier, if you are not going to use the Outlook client, but just access CRM through the web interface, then IIS will take care of the authentication to AD. All you really need to do is make sure that you can connect to the server (By "connect", I mean being able to establish a network connection)

If you ARE going to use the Outlook client, then yes, you should do an IFD deployment.

Hi Will

original question is if a user can be added to CRM 4.0 without having an AD account for that user.

What you are saying is correct – you can access CRM interface from any PC regardless if the PC is connected to domain or not – J

but your answer is not related to what a1sabine8 is asking :)

I am having to establish same at my work. so far I am convinced that if you have Dynamic CRM 4.0 ( domain version) and set up on a domain( not on a workgroup) then the user has to be added to AD before adding them to CRM via settings/user on CRM interface.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:24 PM
  • For both on-premise or SPLA deployments you have to use AD accounts, IFD changes nothing on this requirement, it only makes it possible to log-on using forms authentification. The only way to not use AD is the CRM Live deployment provided by Microsoft where the Live-IDs are instead of AD accounts.

Regards, Robert
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:41 PM