diy system - SATA II & IDE drive questions RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have done a lot of reading through the forum with regards to the type of systems being built.

I am looking for an energy efficient system, small in size but able to handle all components internally.

My main question is with regards to the hard drives.

I am planning on using 4 (400gb or 500gb) sata drives for the drive pool, using the sata connectors on the mobo.

I have a lot of parts laying around and I pulled 2 40gb IDE drives out of a system that I want to use to run the OS for the WHS.  I was thinking to run the IDE drives in a mirror configuration just so I have some OS redundancy.

So, the OS runs on the IDE channel as a mirror set.  The 4 SATA drives are configured as part of the drive pool.

Is this kind of configuration possible with WHS?  I want to make sure I have the correct drive configuration before I actually get started building this new system.

Ohhh, one other question.  Is there any problem running mulitple nics?  I want to run one nic to a DMZ on my firewall and the other to my internal network.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, great forum!!!

John

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:32 AM

All replies

•  enorfrog wrote:

I have done a lot of reading through the forum with regards to the type of systems being built.

I am looking for an energy efficient system, small in size but able to handle all components internally.

My main question is with regards to the hard drives.

I am planning on using 4 (400gb or 500gb) sata drives for the drive pool, using the sata connectors on the mobo.

I have a lot of parts laying around and I pulled 2 40gb IDE drives out of a system that I want to use to run the OS for the WHS.  I was thinking to run the IDE drives in a mirror configuration just so I have some OS redundancy.

So, the OS runs on the IDE channel as a mirror set.  The 4 SATA drives are configured as part of the drive pool.

Is this kind of configuration possible with WHS?  I want to make sure I have the correct drive configuration before I actually get started building this new system.

Ohhh, one other question.  Is there any problem running mulitple nics?  I want to run one nic to a DMZ on my firewall and the other to my internal network.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, great forum!!!

John

If you build that, you are bound to be back here talking about how bad whs is....

First, don't put those two 40 gb hd in your whs.... you want your largest drive as c:... so that means, I'd stick with the four 400 gb drives. 

In addition, don't mess with mirror or raid anything... whs does not support it and you *might* (read will) have issues. 

Two nics?  Might/should be able to do it... but what I've found out, the less complicated the better.  Setup it up with four drives and put in a corner... if you fuss with it, it will break and you will be back here talking about how bad it is... Really, this is not linux or win 2003... that is what it sounds like you need. 

I found out the hard way not to toy with this thing... when I stopped messing with it, it runs great...

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:05 AM
  • Morning,

WHS will refuse to install on a disk less than 80GB. Also, even though a few people have a raid system running it is not recommended, or supported by Microsoft.

In this day and age, I would just 'toss' 40GB disks. The consensus earlier in the beta testing, was that a system drive of 400GB or so, is the best compromise between size and usefulness.

Colin 

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:56 AM
  • Thanks for the responses.

I guess I am a bit of old school when it comes to having raid configurations, etc.

I have held off building a win2003 server for a long, long time.  Having enterprise servers at work is one thing, but having a server at home is another.  I still have plans to build a small Cold Fusion server to do development but that is not going to be put on the WHS so I guess I can always build a small server for my other "projects".  I am also working on building a m0n0wall unit to run my firewall which the WHS will go through.

The reason I want to build the WHS is to take advantage of what it offers as well as have a low overhead unit to maintain.  I want to put it in a closet and forget about it while being able to serve up movies, music, and finally a single common point for data repository. 

Right now, I remote into a computer in my basement from my laptop and other workstations to do any work because all data is on the one computer.  It will be nice to work on my laptop and be able to access my data files via the network.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:16 AM
  •  enorfrog wrote:

I guess I am a bit of old school when it comes to having raid configurations, etc.

The reason I want to build the WHS is to take advantage of what it offers as well as have a low overhead unit to maintain.  I want to put it in a closet and forget about it while being able to serve up movies, music, and finally a single common point for data repository. 

Yes, I understand about being old school... whs is a new kettle of fish though.... you don't need raid.  whs has its own "raid" built into the system in that you won't lose any data if one of the drives die.  Guess I never really liked raid... pita when I tried it and then one drive slowly died and that messed up data on one drive which replicated to the other drives.  F with a capital f... I was screwed. 

If you are going to build it and put in a corner, fine.  Sounds like you are going to toy with it though.... I can hear it in your posts.... then you are going to have issues, trust me.....

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:25 AM
  • You won't be able to install on the 40 GB drives in RAID 1; minimum requirement for the system drive is 80 GB, which the array won't meet. So just go with the 4x 500 GB drives.

When you install, if you want to use your SATA drives in SATA/AHCI mode, you'll have to supply drivers at two points: during the initial graphical phase, and at the beginning of text mode setup (the "Press F6" prompt). If you don't mind losing the advanced features, you can configure your BIOS to present the drives in IDE mode and not worry about it, of course.

You won't be able to multi-home WHS; don't bother installing the second NIC.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:50 AM