add more space on D: disk? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have a WHS Server with two discs in it. one with 120 gb and one with 1 TB.

WHS os is installed on the 120 gig disc. 20 gig for the OS and rest (app 95 gb) for D:

I also have 1 TB disk added to storage area.

the problem is that when I add music into Itunes the D: folder stops at the 95 GB limit!!!

even if the files is on the shared folders.

My TB disk is added and app 500 gb used, so it should be plenty of space....

how can I overcome this problem?

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:27 AM

Answers

• Given that you are running iTunes directly on the server it's likely that iTunes is unaware of, and therefore unable to work properly with, Drive Extender. Given that this is an unsupported scenario, you'll probably wind up finding your own solution in the end. The best advice I can give you is to see if you can configure iTunes to store it's library in the server shares via a UNC path rather than a drive letter. So instead of storing your media in e.g. D:\Shares\Music you would configure it to store everything in \\server\music.

Whether iTunes can be configured to do this or not I don't know, as I manage my iTunes library differently. I would be unsurprised to find that it's not possible to set your library to be stored anywhere other than a locally connected disk (Apple is not very concerned about making their products flexible and portable; they'd rather just make them work well together). In that case, add a drive to your server, but don't add it to the storage pool, and put your music library on that.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:39 PM

All replies

• Do you have automatic updates turned 'on' on your WHS?
    This sounds suspiciously like one of the things that was fixed in the November update...
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:38 AM
  • Hi,
    how do you add files to the D: drive?
    Adding anything directly to the harddisk circumventing WHS mechanics can only use that volume. So it would be no wonder, that this is full.
    If you want to use the complete WHS storage, you should use the Shared folders.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:09 AM
  • And, the more I read you post, Mr. Hammond, the more I realize:  what are you running iTunes on?  The WHS, or a client?

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:45 PM
  • okay. Let me explain about my system

I have a server in my basement with WHS PP1 installed. 2,8 Ghz, 1gb ram, disc 1: 120 gb, disc 2: 1 TB.

This server is also running iTunes on it. so it is always inlogged.
    The reason for running iTunes is that I have a Appe TV at my living room and these two are connected. works nicely. I also control my apple tv with my Ipod Touch.
    Apple TV reads the library, and streams everything from the iTunes on WHS server. works nicely.

I also have another computer in my home office, and use Ultra VNC to enter  the WHS server and add music files and things to the library in itunes. works really nice.

so, this is basically my system. and it is really stable, and really easy to manage, add files and so on.

Tommy
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Given that you are running iTunes directly on the server it's likely that iTunes is unaware of, and therefore unable to work properly with, Drive Extender. Given that this is an unsupported scenario, you'll probably wind up finding your own solution in the end. The best advice I can give you is to see if you can configure iTunes to store it's library in the server shares via a UNC path rather than a drive letter. So instead of storing your media in e.g. D:\Shares\Music you would configure it to store everything in \\server\music.

Whether iTunes can be configured to do this or not I don't know, as I manage my iTunes library differently. I would be unsurprised to find that it's not possible to set your library to be stored anywhere other than a locally connected disk (Apple is not very concerned about making their products flexible and portable; they'd rather just make them work well together). In that case, add a drive to your server, but don't add it to the storage pool, and put your music library on that.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:39 PM
  • I have thought of the same and think that you might have right.

in that case I'll just add a drive and problem solved.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:52 PM
  • I will offer one additional suggestion: configure a scheduled task that copies the contents of the iTunes library (the media files; the library XML file is replaceable) into your shares, where you presumably have duplication turned on. Now your media will be protected by duplication, and you'll be able to back it up off-site using WHS Server Backup or a custom solution. 

For the scheduled task, using robocopy would be preferable to a DOS command; you can set it up so that it automatically retries (a set number of times or forever) if there's a failure reading or writing.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:41 PM