Add in file format to WHS Media Library Sharing RRS feed

• Question

• Current video file support for WHS media library sharing is very limited. Maybe because it's still running based on WMC 2.0. Is there anyway to add-in additional file support extension into WHS media library sharing such as MKV, RMVB and etc.?

I know there are 3rd party add-in such as TwonkyMedia that can solve my problem but it's not free.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:07 AM

All replies

• WHS doesnt really need codecs, its only a device to store and share files to each PC or Xbox/PS3, these machines are the ones that need the codecs on to play the files.

HMG
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:37 PM
  • The media streaming built into Windows Home Server does require appropriate codecs, Henry. If you're using that functionality to stream to e.g. an Xbox, your media will need to be in formats that both the Xbox and Windows Media Connect 2.0 understand.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:19 PM
  • I Dont have a codec pack installed on my WHS Machine, and I am able to stream to PCs and the xbox just fine.
    HMG
    Monday, December 21, 2009 12:05 AM
  • If you are purely using PC to access files in WHS for playback, there is no issue on what sort of file WHS can share out. My problem is with the WMC share out features. I have a uPNP media renderer at my home (Popcorn Hour). Yes, you might say I can use the network browsing feature to look out for those MKV file but I'll be more happy if someone can tell me how I can make WHS WMC to share out MKV file so that my Upnp machine can see it through the Windows Media Connect.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:41 PM
  • If you can locate a DirectShow filter for .mkv files, you might be able to install it on your server and configure everything correctly. Given that there's not a lot of documentation on exactly how to do this, you should expect that you'll have to do significant research and experimentation on your own to get this working. I do wish you luck; the more media handling capabilities people manage to add, the better. :)

The best place to start looking for a DirectShow filter is the Matroska web site.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:31 PM