APC Battery Backup & Shutdown Notification RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all, and thanks in advance for your time. I recently purchased an APC 550VA UPS for my home server, which I connected via the USB cable and installed the PowerChute software without a hitch. I RD into both my server and my workstation often thru the net, and I know the APC software will automatically tell WHS to shutdown when the battery gets critical. However, my question is this: Can anyone think of a way for me to notified either via an email or a text message that the battery is critical, so that I can remote in real quick and shutdown my workstation (shortcut on desktop)? It would be helpful so that when the server is shutting off, I would be notified and I would know that I should go ahead and shutdown my workstation also due to inclement weather/power fluctuations or whatever. I see that you can run a program with an event, which I thought of tossing outlook express in there, but all it would is open OE and not actually send anything. Any ideas? Thanks all!
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:43 PM

All replies

• I think you're going to find that this is not possible with the APC.
    I bought a 2nd APC for my desktop PC, so it shuts down as well.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:34 AM
  • Honestly, thats what I figured, but I knew it wouldnt hurt to ask.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:54 PM
  • First question: is your desktop on a UPS as well? If not, don't bother with what you're contemplating; it will shut down (rather abruptly) when it loses power. :)

You can try downloading the SysInternals toolkit and use the psshutdown command to issue a remote shutdown for your workstation; then you don't need to send an email. Which you might not be able to do anyway when the power goes out; is your entire network on battery backup?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Actually, I wanted to know via email or text or somehow that the server is running on battery and will shutdown in XX minutes. That way, I can quickly remote to the workstation behind it and shut it down gracefully, and then log out and let the server do its thing.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:23 PM
  • You aren't thinking your plan through.

My point is that you might not be able to have the email sent by your server in the first place, unless your entire network infractructure includes battery backup. Without battery backup, your connection to the internet will go down when you lose power, as will any devices on your network that don't have battery backup of their own. (Switches, routers, wireless access points, home computers, etc.)

So instead I propose that you set the server up to try to "do the right thing" and shut the workstation down remotely from the server. That way there's a chance you'll have a graceful shutdown.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:42 PM
  • duh good point there Ken. Is there a way for the server to tell the workstation to shut down?
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:11 PM
  • duh good point there Ken. Is there a way for the server to tell the workstation to shut down?
    Look up at where I proposed a tool from SysInternals.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:03 PM
  • I use GridJunction with my APC ES 750 and it has the ability to run a script in the event of a power problem.  The script I'm using now just sends email to me.  I've seen examples where a script can shut down other PCs on the network but I haven't tried that.  My other PCs aren't on UPS so if it's a blackout, they're down anyway.  I do have my DSL modem, router and switch on the UPS along with the WHS machine.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:57 PM
  • I will give both of those a shot. I guess I could also put the workstation on the UPS, but I cant have the PowerChute talk to both machines since there is only 1 USB connection. I could atleast plug the workstation in the UPS and have something else tell it to shut down. Hopefully the BIOS in both machines has the ability to turn themselves back on after power is restored, I would just have to make sure they get shutdown when the battery is near dead.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:40 PM
    I guess I could also put the workstation on the UPS,
    That wouldn't be wise. At best, you will wind up very close to the rated capacity of your UPS, and will have a correspondingly short run time (perhaps only a couple of minutes). More likely you'll exceed the rated capacity. In that case the most likely outcome is that the UPS shuts down when power goes out, to protect itself.

To be honest, if you really want your workstation to be on all the time, you should put it on a UPS of it's own. And if you don't want it on all the time, why not turn it off or put it in hibernation when you're not home?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:05 PM
  • I thought about that, but I have never seemed to have luck with my machine coming out of hibernation. I guess its worth a shot. Can WHS wake up a connected workstation?
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:42 PM
    Can WHS wake up a connected workstation?
    No. Wake On LAN is not supported. If you want your workstation on all the time, you should put it on it's own UPS. (Then it can shut itself down when the power goes out, BTW...)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:20 PM